There are newer employer reviews for Blue Shield Of California

This review is unfiltered.

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Finance Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California

Pros

Opportunities to "grow" into roles. There is a strong desire to promote internal candidates

Cons

The technical infrastructure is limited and therefore requires manual manipulation and undocumented and ever-changing processes.

Company knowledge and needs to be systematically developed across a broader spectrum of employees.

reviews filtered by

Beware of the Claims Department at Blue Shield of California in Lodi, in fact, beware of the Blue Shield in Lodi!

Current Employee - Claims in Lodi, CA
    Current Employee - Claims in Lodi, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California

Pros

Vestment in three years; immediate health benefits from first day of employment; job stability in health care is good during rough economic times; to most people "any job" is a good job these days because of the economy.

Cons

Terrible employee and management morale. Unhealthy levels of stress put upon employees because the basic tools needed to process the work are useless (mainframe system from the 1980's and cannot handle the volume of work; "work arounds" used to complete basic processes via Access databases that are overloaded by demand and not meant to be used for high volume), quality of work of employees judged unfairly - three bad audits in three consecutive months can get you terminated. But the systems used for the "tools" employees need to process the work is flawed, so a mistake that Auditors mark you down for may very well be caused by lack of information; bad training; system failure - but you have no way to prove it.

Shame on you for enjoying your high salaries and leaving a path of destruction behind you. The employees suffer and the customers suffer. I wouldn't encourage anyone to take a job at this place and I wouldn't want any future medical claims or insurance coverage from this company because I know how rough the environment is inside that place - I don't want my medical information or claims delayed or at risk.

Great place to work if you have a family, but career development is almost non-existent.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California

Pros

-Great hours and and you can't beat the location.

Cons

The downside of working in marketing for Blue Shield of California is that there is really not much marketing being done. Marketing is informational and dry -- not by any fault of the marketing or creative teams, but just by the nature of insurance. It's so highly regulated that it hampers creativity.

Senior management needs to do a better job of looking at mid-level managers' performance. Mid-level leadership have very poor people management skills or it's non-existent.

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Shield Of California