Blue Shield Of California

www.blueshieldca.com
  www.blueshieldca.com
There are newer employer reviews for Blue Shield Of California

Health Insurance is in a bad place ....

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Good people, good culture and trying hard to adjust to the realities of Healthcare Reform and the consumer market

Cons

Infrastructure is gnarly - technically, process and organization ... just got off a big consolidation and layoff

Good intentions will go so far ... need to have strong vision, leadership and a functional infrastructure/architecture in IT and business process to emerge from this radical industry change.

293 Other Employee Reviews for Blue Shield Of California (View Most Recent)

High School all over again

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California

Pros

I can't come up with any

Cons

Working here was like going back to high school - maybe even worse. People don't think before they speak. They degrade you and talk behind your back. Sad to say that was senior leadership. They come up with all these ideas they deem great WITHOUT any long-term strategy. Ask them about their goals, they say "I don't know." Ask them about if the product failed, they say "I don't know." The senior leadership that talk behind your back also don't have spines of their own. They're the ones taking notes during meetings vs. contributing to the discussion...but they have the nerve to talk behind your back. The year I spent here gave me more wrinkles and gray hair than I could have anticipated thanks to the chaos, lack of management, lack of strategy, lack of camaraderie, lack of decency...I would never recommend for anyone to waste their life away here unless you can work your way to being the "favorite" by playing teacher's pet. Teacher's pets always get their way...they just lose their dignity.

BIG CLUE for you guys - if your department keeps turning over but you're still there - YOU'RE the problem.

Surprisingly bad health insurance!

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

So, if you’re like me, maybe you’re reading these reviews to see if this is a place you want to work. Everyone has different experiences, and the department/team you work in—and to whom you report to/work with—are big factors in driving differences. That said, let me see if I can focus on the general observations that I expect most other employees would have.

First off, I’ll start with the good stuff. Pay is good. Surprisingly good. Annual bonus is incredible for a not-for-profit company. I was shocked. You can actually make some decent coin here. I think, for that reason, it does attract and hire a lot of talent…lots of folks coming in from management consulting and fortune 500 companies; many of them looking to slow down a bit, maybe not work so many evenings and weekends.

The company does well at technological connectivity for the employees. They have people literally all over the state, and many need to work together, so use of online tools to accomplish this are numerous. Webex standard for most meetings; use of instant messaging to communicate, share screens, etc. Flexibility is also very good; there are a decent number of employees who telecommute the vast majority of their schedule (coming in to the office infrequently); and the general sense I got was that you could work from home 1-2 days a week, depending on meetings, workload, etc. All in all, the most flexible place I’ve worked with regard to telecommuting.

Cons

Now, on to the stuff I didn’t like as much. This place is super political. All companies have internal politics; that’s a reality of getting people together to work. People are different; they work differently. But this place felt more like high school politics than true work/resource politics. Seriously. People who refused to work with certain other people; back-stabbing; talking negatively about other employees behind their backs…these were all accepted behaviors (or at least not addressed, which I take as acceptance). “Fire-fighting” is rewarded…handsomely. If you can attack a problem—doesn’t really matter if it is in your job description or not—and provide some solution or at least show that you worked really hard on it; you will likely get a spot bonus. These can be lucrative; most I heard of were in the $500-$750 range; some over $1000. There were some employees getting these several times a year. As you can see, this will add to your bottom line quickly.

Company says it is employee-centric; it is not. All the usual perks are in place, but at the end of the day, you are a cog in the works; you can be replaced easily…and often. There is no loyalty from the employer. Too many “re-orgs” happened in the time I worked for this company…and to be clear, what they do is essentially fire all the employees in one department (not immediately; these are RIFs under the California Warn Act); then create a bunch of new positions and employees can apply for those jobs. But, it never quite works out, and there are fewer jobs available than there are employees who want to fill them. Management knows who they want to keep and who will be shown the door. In many cases, your interview won’t matter. You’re on the way out. Turnover was excessive. Always new employees; always people leaving. In many cases, these were good, knowledgeable staff leaving because they were a threat to their management. This place must spend a mint on RIF processing.

But, probably the biggest drawback of all…drumroll please…and this surprised me…the employee health insurance plan is HORRIBLE. Seriously. Awful. Which is pretty ironic considering that Blue Shield’s PRODUCT—the reason they are in business—is health insurance! If you are taking a job in El Dorado Hills/Sacramento/Lodi area, you will have 2 “choices” for your health plan: An intentionally-overpriced PPO plan (seriously not affordable if you have a family and/or any actual needs for medical service) designed to steer you to the other plan…the company’s own, developed-in-house, pride of the family…it is called “BlueGroove”. And boy does it suck. Whoever developed this lame POS (and that's not "point of service" if you're keeping track at home) should be fired for failing to understand the basic tenets of product marketing. The new face of health care. Very limited physician network. Misunderstood benefits. I really tried NOT to ever use it. The only time I did need it was when I had to go to urgent care (after hours; couldn’t wait for regular business hours to see a doc and I didn’t want to go to the emergency room because this wasn’t technically an emergency and I feel very strongly that is how/where our health system has gone awry…too many people using the ER as their primary doctor). Anyway, my urgent care visit was considered “out of network”! WTF?! Seriously, they advised me at the urgent care to go to the ER because the visit has to be covered there, but I also knew that was irresponsible for cost and access reasons. Blue Shield never paid my claim. If I simplify this, I was denied care UNLESS I would go to the ER with a non-emergent condition. I SAVED THEM MONEY by not doing this (typical ER visit is around $2K; my urgent care claim was around $150) and they wouldn't reimburse me.

Employees talk about how crazy-busy they are here; I just don’t get it. I think they are busy saying they are busy (see the recent FastCompany article titled: “Busy is the New Lazy”). I think part of what drives that is the perpetual internal struggle to get employees, money for projects, and new tools to do the work. At the end of the day, I saw a lot of inefficiency happening as the company continues to pump money into legacy systems that should be replaced, not re-habbed or maintained.

Lastly, Blue Shield is highly dependent on it’s biggest client: CalPERS. A disproportionate share of resources are allocated to maintain that partnership. A disruption to that client (i.e. if CalPERS does not continue to select Blue Shield) would be devastating—if not fatal—to Blue Shield.

Good luck making a go of it when you lose CalPERS and have an employee revolt against Blue Groove.

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Shield Of California