There are newer employer reviews for Blue Shield Of California

The Bar Is Very High at BSC - Are You Up For It!

Current Employee - Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA
Current Employee - Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has a passion for doing all it can to provide affordable health care to everyone in California by cutting our cost of doing business and negotiating hard with providers. It is a challenging and rewarding environment, we are thriving!

Cons

Expectations are very high for all employees, slackers need not apply.

Advice to Management

Some senior people still talk down to staff, they know all. But recent changes in Leadership is improving the environment, more supportive and trusting - letting us do all we can do.

Other Employee Reviews for Blue Shield Of California

1. not for everyone

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Lodi, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Lodi, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

paid vacation and good health benefits

Cons

they watch you like a hawk

Advice to Management

n/a

Constant Crisis Mode

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and bonus structure are very good. The paid time off allotted is also quite generous. It was a very good place to work, from 2008-2010. This is a company in crisis, so there will be opportunities open.

Cons

For a health insurance company, the cost of the health plans offered as benefits was shockingly high. This company has been running in 'crisis mode' for the last several years. Everything must be done 'yesterday'. All decisions are very much based on short term thinking, with lip service being paid to overall strategy. There is no work/life balance, many people are essentially doing the jobs of two people. Management uses fear as a motivational tool. I found this to be the case in both departments that I worked in, and found similar reports from other people I spoke with across the company before I left. The company is also extremely political, more so than any company I've worked for in the last 15 years. They've lost a number of very talented people due to layoffs, re-orgs and bad management choices to accommodate the people who are on the 'in team'. Before I left, half the team that I was on told me about stress related disorders that they'd recently acquired due to over work. A recruiter from another company told me that she loves to hire Blue Shield employees cause they hire good people and then treat them like crap.

Advice to Management

They aren't interested in advice. The culture seems to be one where they are grabbing as much as they can, moving quickly and getting out if their decisions don't pan out. Given the overall culture, I can't exactly fault them for that, but there don't appear to be a lot of people that legitimately care about this company's long term future.