There are newer employer reviews for Blue Shield Of California

Depressing and unrewarding. Little to no promotion from within. Careers go here to die.

Current Employee - IT Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - IT Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good work life balance.

Cons

Little to no chance of advancement. In the time I have been there I have seen only a couple occasions where internal people were promoted to management positions. There are some really good, strong people at Blue Shield. Management doesn't seem to see it. Lots of talk about making it a great place to work but management in IT seems to do it because they have to not because the believe it.

Advice to Management

Look inside when it comes time to hire new managers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Slowly going down the drain

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Onsite gym, great cafe, good work life balance if you work for the right person. You get to work with some really great people.

Cons

Too many managers. Unethical, greedy, backstabbing and political manager. You can't trust anyone here at all. Money is basically thrown down the drain as the layoffs continue. Laying off entire teams who do a specific job and then wonder why things aren't getting done. Also "allowing" people to reapply to their "old" job at a lower wage. Senior management with a few exceptions are a joke. There is no direction, the "transparency" is a crock. This is one of the most inefficient companies I've ever worked at.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people who are not "people managers", try giving them a raise. We do not need 700+ managers! Have an overall review of what people really do, not just what their director thinks they do before you lay them off.

Don't believe the hype

Current Employee - Decline in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Decline in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few managers allow telecommuting High paying jobs Good location for bart commuting Doesn't require you to be ethical and/or honest

Cons

Politics rule! More important than company mission! Productivity is severely hampered by: constant worry about lay offs, not getting on someone's bad side, playing the blame game, Terrible employee engagement scores on our psychological well being - but now that our bonus is tied to our engagement score - that will get the scores up and who cares about the truth (see pros)

Advice to Management

New CEO get your head out of the clouds - you've extended blind trust to your leadership team, not smart trust. Its a mess in the trenches & you don't know or don't care.