There are newer employer reviews for Blue Shield Of California

Very nice company to work for

Former Contractor - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
Former Contractor - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good orientation. Allow for learning phase. Thorough info and resources to learn the job.

Cons

the company culture as to what to say and not say to vendors.

Advice to Management

There ought to be employee evals even with contracted employees for 30/60/90 days so as to redirect the focus of the work for what is super important and what to kind of let go of.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Some people can get away with everything, while others get "dinged" for the tiniest infraction

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in El Dorado, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in El Dorado, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent, great cafeteria

Cons

Management does not live up to the values of the company. The spend a lot of time talking about them, and trying to increase their Great Place to Work survey scores (tied to bonuses), but do DO anything to actually make it a great place, or even a decent place to work. People are rewarded if they tell on their co-workers and management doesn't even bother to find out if what the person said is true or not. Managers are not leaders, they are mere babysitters. And, believe me, they treat their staff as just that; children. We are not adults who can make our own decisions and judgement calls.

Advice to Management

Get decent managers. Seriously, fire every single manager in MCS and start over! You would be so much better off. I don't know of a single manager in MCS that people respect or look up to.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other......I will leave it to you to decide, but go in "eyes wide open".

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company really does try to do what is best for the member. We have been told we are striving to create a health plan we would want our family to belong to. Depending on the campus parking is provided and but the corporate office has no parking but is very close to public transit. They have a gym in many of the campuses and encourage healthy lifestyle but many departments do not practice work:life balance.....part of "healthy lifestyle." Company is big however small enough for an employee to make a difference. Depending on the department you are made to feel like you make a difference.

Cons

As someone else mentioned, the environment varies significantly based on the department. In fall 2013, it was announced the maximum amount of PTO that could be accrued was 240 hours and effective 4/1, if a person had more then the 240 hours, they would not accrue any more PTO until the employee was below the max. The people that had been around a long time or belonged to certain teams were really hit hard. Last year many departments were eliminated. In 2013 employees were told in March positions were going to be eliminated and they would know at the end of May or early June as to whether or not they might not have a job. Also due to high admin/labor cost they have eliminated many positions, and it appears a high percentage who have been eliminated are the staff accruing the most PTO and other benefits, very concerning for those of us who are still employed and have 10+ years. People just disappear, one day they are there the next day they are gone.

Advice to Management

You stink, really really stink, when it comes to eliminating people, you leave the rest of us to experience a very high level uneasiness. You throw away good employees yet, hire the incompetent very confusing.