Blue Shield Of California

www.blueshieldca.com
  www.blueshieldca.com
There are newer employer reviews for Blue Shield Of California

Very nice company to work for

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good orientation. Allow for learning phase. Thorough info and resources to learn the job.

Cons

the company culture as to what to say and not say to vendors.

There ought to be employee evals even with contracted employees for 30/60/90 days so as to redirect the focus of the work for what is super important and what to kind of let go of.

292 Other Employee Reviews for Blue Shield Of California (View Most Recent)

Way too many chiefs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The medical benefits and PTO are adequate. You are eligible for health benefits and vested in 401k on date of hire. The limit placed on company profits and involvement in community service is admirable.

Cons

The layers of management within the company seem to be endless. The organizational structure changes frequently. Dental benefits are poor. My manager provided me no negative feedback throughout the year until my annual review, then I was placed on performance plan and received no raise or bonus. The unknowns and ever changing Affordable Care Act related requirements and mandates makes project work challenging.

Hire an organizational consulting firm to assess the layers of management and make recommendation.

Competitive Pay, Great Benefits, & Growing Company!

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As many reviews that are posted here, it really all depends on what department you work in and who your boss and team leads are. I can say I am very happy in the department I'm in and the people that I get to work with. I don't want to disclose my identity so I won't go into details on what department but I will say I'm at the SF Beale location.

I have worked at other big Fortune 500 companies before and Blue Shield of CA is really trying hard to get things right and to become #1 and a great place to work. The company is about 5,000 employees so not to big but small enough to make a difference and to be noticed for your accomplishments.

Some benefits that should be pointed out:
    -You get healthcare coverage from day one
    -20 days paid vacation
    -pension after three years with the company
    -the ability to work from home at least one day a week if needed (depends on your manager)
    -discount on your medical insurance for being healthy
    -healthy cafe and gym on site including "WalkStations" on certain floors of the main office.

With new leadership, strategic plan, and a road map of where our product lines and what we plan to accomplish, I have faith that I will be at the company for a long time.

Cons

While I have colleagues that have been here for 10+ years, I also have seen at least one person leave on their own behalf each month. Some people are not happy and the reality of a big company is that things sometimes move a bit slower since it's not a startup company. It's healthcare insurance!

The corporate chain of command is also very instilled in the BSC culture. You must follow the hierarchy of command versus just reaching out to someone. There is some favoritism in the group and that's just office politics at its best to climb the corporate ladder. Everyone seems to be a "project manager" including myself even though that was not the role I was originally hired for.

Keep your employees by:
    -engaging them with praise for their accomplishments
    -continue to have your all-hands meetings per quarter and listen to your employees
    -compensate the market rate salary for positions to get the best possible talent and don't rush to hire
    -invest in your employees through self-learning and promote from within before going outside

I chose to work for this company and wake up happy to go to work each morning because of it's mission statement and the work that I do to make the mission statement happen. I want to finish my career here and hope that management gets it together!

There are newer employer reviews for Blue Shield Of California