You'll work hard for the money

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, SC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very good benefits, strong belief on promoting from within, solid training programs, big on community involvement, on-site amenities include fitness centers, cafeterias, and Starbucks, very stable company.

Cons

Some areas use front-line management as senior-level staff rather than letting them manage, most areas pay below market rates, too many paper-driven processes considering the company's technological expertise.

Let your front-line managers be managers, and devote resources to automating the paper processes.

Other Reviews for BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina

Seemed like great opportunity...at the time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free parking. Gym in building. In my area, nice people. Love what I do.

Cons

No true chance for promotion. Hired with the promise that, with my MBA, a management position would be forthcoming. Not, so. Might get a minor bump in title, perhaps a 5% raise, but all of the management workload!

I'm hunting for a job. You are losing a dedicated employee who would have stayed for many years, but you won't pay me what I'm worth, so I'll find someone who will. Your losing a lot of great people because you won't modify you HR policies.

Been here many years and it gets worse every year.

Current Employee - Employee  in  Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have a good job for now but plan to leave soon due to not having a career path in my job field at Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina.

Cons

Promotions are biased base on who you know or are related to. Most of the problems I see are due to BCBSSC's hands off style of management. They also prefer to hire someone in for lead or manager positions over people with many years experience and more education even if there are no documented reasons not to promote someone from within. The human resources department is a joke and unless the infraction will harm the company they tend to ignore most everything else.

Many managers in Information Systems like to pit employees against each other and make everything a competition. This causes animosity and back biting. Hardly a good team environment. Teams compete against other teams, not each other. Most of the managers take management courses from Furman which is a joke. The things they teach there aren't real life. A private in the Marines can manage better.

Depending on who you know or who you go to church with more so than who's better qualified. The poster child company for "Good ole' boy southern politics". Sad for the company really.

There are newer employer reviews for BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina.

Worked for BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina? Contribute to the Community!