BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina

www.southcarolinablues.com
  www.southcarolinablues.com
There are newer employer reviews for BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina

Medium level task, below average pay, not a bad place to get your spurs!!!

Current Employee - Actuary  in  Columbia, SC
Current Employee - Actuary in Columbia, SC

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time for more than a year

Pros

The largest health insurer in SC. You will have plenty of support. If you plan on staying in healthcare it's a great place to put on your resume. As stated in the title you won't be asked for the stars!!! They have a pension plan that vests after five years. 50% matching on 401k up to 6% of gross. Generous (3.5 weeks) of combined sick and vacation time.

Cons

Below average pay and you live in the armpit of SC. Good ole boy environment. If you stay you will work in a cube for a decade or longer. Good chance of being pigeon-holed into same tasks without variation. Stay thirsty my friends.

Amazing the lack of technical expertise in departments outside of mine. My department rocks!!!

80 Other Employee Reviews for BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina (View Most Recent)

You'll work hard for the money

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very good benefits, strong belief on promoting from within, solid training programs, big on community involvement, on-site amenities include fitness centers, cafeterias, and Starbucks, very stable company.

Cons

Some areas use front-line management as senior-level staff rather than letting them manage, most areas pay below market rates, too many paper-driven processes considering the company's technological expertise.

Let your front-line managers be managers, and devote resources to automating the paper processes.

Seemed like great opportunity...at the time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Pros

Free parking. Gym in building. In my area, nice people. Love what I do.

Cons

No true chance for promotion. Hired with the promise that, with my MBA, a management position would be forthcoming. Not, so. Might get a minor bump in title, perhaps a 5% raise, but all of the management workload!

I'm hunting for a job. You are losing a dedicated employee who would have stayed for many years, but you won't pay me what I'm worth, so I'll find someone who will. Your losing a lot of great people because you won't modify you HR policies.

There are newer employer reviews for BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina

Worked for BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina? Contribute to the Community!