Blurb

www.blurb.com
  www.blurb.com
There are newer employer reviews for Blurb

Great engineers, great product, lacking oomph

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blurb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart engineers work here. There's a general sense that people here want to do things the right way, with the right technologies. Engineering management, once a bit lackluster in its focus, has seen some good changes in structure and there's a good sense of leadership direction building.

We're pretty conscientious about shoring up our tech debt. Though the code base is aging, there's good concerted efforts in constant refactoring and re-architecting of systems.

People-wise, there's a sense of camaraderie amongst folks here. Good team ethos, and you get the sense that you can trust your teammates to cover you. Pair programming is encouraged, and there's a general spirit of coding with excellence here.

Work-life balance is awesome. You are trusted to get your work done, but the flexibility to work from home where necessary is much appreciated.

Cons

Turnover has hurt us a lot in the past year, and that's caused by a breakneck pace of constant feature development and little time to manage tech debt, leading to engineer frustration and burnout.

Turnover in management and product has left features without owners and leaving parts of the site to sit and deteriorate over the years.

Blurb isn't the sexy startup it once was. There's a sense that much of the passion around building great books is waning, and many of those original founding team members have left to pursue other opportunities.

Engineering-wise, I'd like to see a greater hack spirit in the ranks. The talent is here and the passion is as well, but engineering is booked so far up with feature development there's not as much space to build prototypes or work on open-source projects.

Keep us focused on what's next in the market and emerging spaces. Hone in on our user experience and tweak it mercilessly... plenty of our products have that last 20% to go before they become excellent. We have a loyal customer base -- let's not lose them. Give engineering the time and breathing room to deliver quality code... or just simply to play.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Blurb (View Most Recent)

Fun and passionate co-workers, niche business struggling to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blurb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Average pay
    Chilled out work environment
    A product you can love and boast about

Cons

Below par benifits
    Engineering management was very reactive and had little vision - although there have been top-level changes and shake-ups on the engineering side recently.

Work life balance is awesome...compensation is some of the worst I have seen

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blurb

Pros

+ Great work life balance
    + You can't really get a more chill job.
    + People are fun and awesome.

Cons

+ Compensation is weak
    + What Management says is not equal to what management does, a lot of false promises
    + This should be technology company, and they say they are, but it really is a marketing company.
    + High employee turnover.

Really utilize your front line employees and trust they will get the job done. Management tries to control product way too much, they are not nearly as creative as they think they are.

There are newer employer reviews for Blurb