Bob Evans

There are newer employer reviews for Bob Evans

Alright

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Toledo, OH
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Bob Evans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits and a growing company

Cons

Having to work so many hours and never having holidays off

Have upper management use correct grammar, it reflects badly on the company if they don't. Most of them don't

340 Other Employee Reviews for Bob Evans (View Most Recent)

Another Day, Another Dollar

Current Employee - Dishtanker in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Dishtanker in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Bob Evans (less than an year)

Pros

The people are excellent and the corporate philosophy "Best for my Guest" is a solid industry standard.

Cons

Hours can be extended or cut short depending on the situation, sometimes making it difficult to plan.

Steady place to work

Former Employee - Server in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Server in Columbia, MO

I worked at Bob Evans

Pros

-The managers were flexible with employee's schedules for the most part. This was very nice for the college students and parents that worked here. They were fairly flexible with emergencies and that type of thing. They also allowed you the ability to choose your shifts to a certain extent and were great about picking up extra shifts if needed.
    -For the most part, the employees were great people to work with.
    -The regulars were great to work with.

Cons

-The manager salary was too low to consider trying to move up because I could make more as a server and have to deal with less baggage. The hours are also really terrible for managers. They often work a minimum of 50 hour weeks. My guess is that the managers averaged 60-70 hr weeks.

-There isn't much room for growth at the restaurant level. I think this started getting better after I left though.

-The area directors need better training on management and people skills.

-While the money was decent, it wasn't great. The older target market doesn't tip as well as and your money really depended on having regulars.

There are several branches that are located in college towns, yet there was absolutely zero recruiting from within for headquarter positions. I suggest increasing the amount of recruiting done internally for headquarter positions.

Provide a way for the lower level employees to provide feedback and suggestions. The lower level employees are the face of the company, yet their "corporate level" feedback was never welcomed or encouraged.

Standardize the marketing across all of the areas that have units. I worked in three different areas, and each one had completely different marketing. Some of the areas were very active (tv and radio commercials, billboards, coupons, digital presence, etc.) and some of the areas had absolutely nothing.

Improve health & dental insurance for lower level full-time employees. There is a huge problem with the disability insurance for servers because of the low hourly salary.

Improve the training for servers, managers, and area directors. There is always a huge push for suggestive selling, but there was little training on how to be a great server. They provided suggested things to say to upsell, but the sayings were awkward and stuff. The current training is simply menu training and company procedures. Train on how to actually increase tips, gain regulars, etc. There needs to be a greater focus on training in regards to management skills and people skills.

Provide better incentives for special promotion contests among the serving staff. We don't always want free food. Sometimes we want other things like a paid day off, money, etc.

There are newer employer reviews for Bob Evans