Boeing

www.boeing.com
  www.boeing.com
There are newer employer reviews for Boeing

Good company but overworked and under-appreciated in the wrong job.

Former Employee - Static Loads Engineer in Renton, WA
Former Employee - Static Loads Engineer in Renton, WA

I worked at Boeing

Pros

Opportunities to travel and gain some great experience working with other companies. Paid to attend relevant courses. Supportive supervisors and first level management.

Cons

Hired mostly college grads and exploited their eagerness to pay them less and make them work lots of overtime. Very little direction given on projects. Constantly changing analysis software, expecting employees to become experts in a few weeks and provide professional results immediately after. Significant contributions to project success earned a "satisfactory" rating on performance reviews.

When you bring in new graduates, work with them to place them in an area where they will thrive and grow instead of getting exhausted and quitting. Also: If your employees perform well, acknowledge it verbally and give us a good review! Don't just send us a printed form certificate saying "Thanks!" along with with just enough points to buy $20 of cheap plastic crap from the company store.

2236 Other Employee Reviews for Boeing (View Most Recent)

Slow-moving, difficult to change.

Former Employee - Real Time Software Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Real Time Software Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Boeing

Pros

Boeing provides relatively good benefits when comparing with other defense companies. There are pockets of high-performing, very productive teams. If you can find a manager who cares, there is great opportunity to advance quickly.

Cons

Boeing is slow to react to change, no matter how beneficial the change may be. This is especially true in software, where "process change" is a bad word until a highly-paid consultant suggests it.
    Pockets of inept management.
    Poor infrastructure and tool set provided to software engineers.
    Often very little opportunity for career advancement.

Encourage and reward exceptional performance. Ensure that your employees are paid competitively before they get an offer elsewhere. Hire employees to do more than just fill a seat; specifically, hire software engineers to build software and ensure that your systems engineers are involved at all stages of development. Give your software engineers the tools that they need to do their job efficiently.

I like the people I work with; change within an aging workforce can be challenging, but I wouldn't work anywhere else.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Awesome education benefits! Zero cost, comprehensive medical/dental insurance. The company wants people to enjoy their work, and if they don't, they try to place them in a position within the company that they will enjoy. My family and I have always felt Boeing has taken very good care of us; we feel secure career-wise

Cons

There can be a crazy amount of beaurocracy! There is an aging workforce, so there are many employees (and managers) who are just "camping" until retirement. This makes change difficult, as innovation can feel as if it is discouraged. However, this will pass, and there will be many opportunities for those who are still there.

Encourage change to happen. Require employees to do some sort of professional development every year; senior employees lack knowledge of current technologies, so they fear it. The result: innovation dies.

There are newer employer reviews for Boeing