Boeing

www.boeing.com

1966 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Changing Culture is hard at Boeing but working there is a great career opportunity overall.

Current Employee - Project Management Specialist  in  Renton, WA
Current Employee - Project Management Specialist in Renton, WA

Pros

Benefits, Benefits, Benefits. My spouse and I obtained our Graduate Degrees 100% financed by the company's education program, not to mention several other training classes and certificates.
Another great benefit is the ability to try out different careers within the company. It is such a big company that you can try jobs from different arenas, not only engineering and manufacturing.

Cons

The corporate culture is conservative and risk-averse to say the least. So if you are trying to change the status quo, it can be done but the results of your efforts will not be seen for a long time to come and that can be very discouraging. It takes a long time for decisions to be made mostly because teams and individuals are not empowered to make changes. There is not a vehicle for individuals to make their contributions known, suggest new ways, collaborate in resolving issues, without getting caught up on a huge bureaucratic mess.

Be more proactive and open to change.

Other reviews for Boeing

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Quality Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great career opportunities and benefits. Also, there is a lot of room for advancement within a number of different groups in the company. A lot of employees have been there for decades, which shows how loyal the employees are to the company. Also, Boeing pays the tuition for full time employees who are in school. I would definitely recommend working here if you have the opportunity.

Cons

There seem to be major layoff every few years. Also, since there are so many different career opportunities people tend to move around a lot within the company. This results in a lot of training and bringing new people up to speed which can take some time.

none

Boeing is Truly the Lazy Bee

Former Employee - Aerospace Engineer, Japanese Interpreter, Software Engineering Lead  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Aerospace Engineer, Japanese Interpreter, Software Engineering Lead in Seattle, WA

Pros

Reasons to work at Boeing:
    1) you want your advanced education fully-paid by the company
    2) you have external activities that require a lot of time and you do not need work interfering
    3) you just need a paycheck
    4) you are incompetent and cannot cut it working intelligently or effectively elsewhere

Cons

1) seniority based promotions :: Naturally management and HR "spin" this to say they do not follow this practice but on numerous occasions that regardless of leadership or technical contribution to my projects as senior lead, I still did not receive a promotion. Reasons included a) not being at the my current position long enough; b) there were other engineers who had been waiting for a promotion longer.

2) no technical excellence :: there is little or no technical excellence remaining at the company. much of the engineering work is done from the books, with engineers being reduced to highly paid librarians for customers

3) aerospace engineering trumps all :: even though one of degrees is in the primary domain of the company, being an engineer of that domain (aerospace) trumps everything else. as a person with other degrees in software and computational engineering; I often encountered aerospace engineers who could not pass data structures 101 yet were leads for very visible, externally facing software projects.

4) everyone is a widget :: management regularly shuffles people around to different jobs as the company constantly tries to restructure. instead of making employees accountable, management instead places people in areas where they have zero experience or education that qualifies them for the position. I have seen people with zero engineering background other than act as technical editors become promoted into engineering; only to see them a few years later move to another engineering position in a startup program that requires actual engineer. Note, people with B.As in English literature are designing your airplanes you ride on.

5) lethargic, slow :: decisions that take 1 hour to 1 day in my current job have traditionally taken 6-12 months at the Boeing company.

6) drowning in people :: Q: How many Boeing engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: All of them. In my current position we are empowered to make business decisions and enact solutions on a regular basis. More so, many customer-facing initiatives are started and finished in a day. I have seen similar functionality started at Boeing with 6 or more engineers and take 12-18 months.

7) there is no IT :: With the exception of IDS (Boeing's Integrated Defense Systems), if you wish to do anything remotely involved with software then this is not a good company to work for. Programmers are not trained for the work they do, or have any formal training in computer science or software engineering. If you are senior then your team will be composed primarily of people who do not about pointers or singly-linked lists. And if you are junior, you will never find anyone to help to develop your professional skills.

The company is bankrupt from an engineering perspective. The company can afford to layoff over 50% of its people and demand more of the remaining employees. The Boeing Company is imploding as we speak due to long-standing policy of not holding ourselves accountable to any sort of technical excellence. While there are certainly smart people at Boeing, employees become institutionalized to the lethargic, indifferent, and often-times incompetent leadership that is The Boeing Company.

There are newer employer reviews for Boeing.

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!