lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Software Product Manager in Renton, WA
Current Employee - Software Product Manager in Renton, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Boeing has a fire department, a security force, artists, lawyers, and just about any profession you want to pursue. In fact, Ralph McQuarry, the artist behind darth vadar and other star wars imagery started as a technical illustrator at Boeing (not that I'd recommend Boeing as the normal career path to Hollywood screen artist). Lots of different opportunities, most especially if you are an engineer that likes airplanes or spaceships. Generally pretty good to the people. I've spent 23 yrs as an engineer at Boeing and had opportunities to travel the world (business class!) supporting our airline customers. I've been to China, Africa, Europe multiple times, staying in 5 star hotels. Compensation is good.

Cons

I've been at Boeing since college so it's my only employer experience as a "professional." I suspect most big companies have similar problems...a few dilbert-esque managers, cubical-ville, big crowded parking lots with long walks to the office, dumb mandatory online "training" classes resulting from lawsuits or other corporate mistakes that don't enrich the employee as much as they provide legal cover for future lawsuits. A huge process driven bureaucracy that frequently stifles or slows innovation.

Advice to Management

I am a closet entrepreneur and love business. While I value my engineering degree I think if I had it to do over again I'd probably get a business degree first. NPV, ROI, Customer Value, sales...I love it. That said, I do feel like we've lost our engineering edge and passion in favor of the MBA-approach to decision making. I don't sense the same sheer love for airplanes that drove us in the early days.

Other Employee Reviews for Boeing

Good first major work experience, learned a lot

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Got to work on challenging aspects of satellite development which was rewarding. Got exposed to new technology. My managers were great and helped me grown and learn more.

Cons

Roles can get repetitive after a while in systems engineering, as you get exposed to same specs, test procedures, and processes. Need to find ways to grow and reinvent yourself, so you remain challenged and satisfied.

Advice to Management

Make sure work with employees to understand their future career plans and how they can grow as it is easy for employees to get stifled doing tedious roles continuously

2. Structural Test Manufacturing Engineer

Current Employee - Structural Test Group in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Structural Test Group in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. I was lucky enough to work in an Engineering group that respected each other and supported each others work. If you network well, there are many opportunities in many different fields of aerospace engineering. Transitioning from job to job happens quite often.

Cons

Very bureaucratic. Old school management style. Definitely not a startup feel, which could be a good or bad thing depending on the security/comfort you are looking for. Accountability needed on missed deadlines.