Boeing

www.boeing.com

lots of opportunities

Software Product Manager (Current Employee) Renton, WA

ProsBoeing has a fire department, a security force, artists, lawyers, and just about any profession you want to pursue. In fact, Ralph McQuarry, the artist behind darth vadar and other star wars imagery started as a technical illustrator at Boeing (not that I'd recommend Boeing as the normal career path to Hollywood screen artist). Lots of different opportunities, most especially if you are an engineer that likes airplanes or spaceships. Generally pretty good to the people. I've spent 23 yrs as an engineer at Boeing and had opportunities to travel the world (business class!) supporting our airline customers. I've been to China, Africa, Europe multiple times, staying in 5 star hotels. Compensation is good.

ConsI've been at Boeing since college so it's my only employer experience as a "professional." I suspect most big companies have similar problems...a few dilbert-esque managers, cubical-ville, big crowded parking lots with long walks to the office, dumb mandatory online "training" classes resulting from lawsuits or other corporate mistakes that don't enrich the employee as much as they provide legal cover for future lawsuits. A huge process driven bureaucracy that frequently stifles or slows innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am a closet entrepreneur and love business. While I value my engineering degree I think if I had it to do over again I'd probably get a business degree first. NPV, ROI, Customer Value, sales...I love it. That said, I do feel like we've lost our engineering edge and passion in favor of the MBA-approach to decision making. I don't sense the same sheer love for airplanes that drove us in the early days.

It was good at the time.

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Good and talented people working together in Wichita. Cons: An increasingly fickle customer. Uncertain business future. A… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good first major work experience, learned a lot

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Got to work on challenging aspects of satellite development which was rewarding. Got exposed… Cons: Roles can get repetitive after a while in systems engineering, as you get exposed to same specs, test… Advice to Senior Management: Make sure work with employees to understand their future career plans and how they… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Boeing.

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!