There are newer employer reviews for Boeing

A good company if you are in the right place.

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Test Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being a large company with several major divisions there are a lot of opportunities to grow, learn new skills, and move to different cities or work overseas. Like any aerospace company there will be layoffs when contracts end or sales of a particular product line decrease but the size and diversity of the company allows some to find work on other programs.

This happened to me once and I had to relocate to a different State to stay with the company. It turned out well as I moved into a new job classification that provided more upward mobility and program I moved to had more long term stability. The company (in the form of my old manager) helped me find the new job and there are a number of recourses available to help people find a new job in the event of a layoff.

The pay and benefits seem very competitive and I have no complaints about either.

Cons

The cons are probably similar to any large corporation working on multiyear government or civil contracts. There are many layers of management, too many system engineers and IPT leads. On government contracts like the one I work on the bean counting and required paper work account for far too much time and effort even for the lowest engineers.

The worst part of the job is inflexibility of the schedule. We hear about quality all the time but when it comes to crunch time the only thing that seems to matter is schedule. Make no mistake schedule is King. This is not entirely Boeings fault as the customer (the military in my case) want the product now and will sometimes accept them with more deficiencies rather than wait until all the bugs are fixed.

The other gripe I have is the enterprise tools we are required to use for most of our “paperwork”. Allegedly to save money everyone at Boeing has to use the same systems for things like discrepancy tracking, test procedure and software configuration management and peer reviews. These tools in many cases are being used in ways they were not designed for and none of them are user friendly or intuitive. We get very little if any training on using them so it is all based on tribal knowledge.

Take care of the people first then you will not have as many worries about the quality, money or schedule.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company and working environment.

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Highly skilled workforce. Great work environment. Committed to quality and meeting customer requirements. High ethical standards.

Cons

Not always pro-active in retaining quality talent.

2. Excellent work life balance

Current Contractor - Structural Engineer in Everett, WA
    Current Contractor - Structural Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone that I work with are extremely professional; The company values the length of service like no other I have seen/been & the the same value is instilled with almost everyone

Cons

Due to the size of the organization & the life of the products delivered innovation is slow & is not extremely welcome. The main motto seems to be if it works, don't try to invent something that might work better

There are newer employer reviews for Boeing