There are newer employer reviews for Boeing

Not prepared for interns

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There were many intern perks, such as tours and outings with company groups. As well,t he relocation check was pretty substantial (I was moving from Boston). Last, the turnover rte to a full time position is pretty high.

Cons

I was given very little work and my days were pretty empty. I had to work very hard to find myself a project for the summer. Most interns I talked to felt the same way. Also, Boeing treats interns as real employees, so they have to complete the same amount of online training and clearances. It could be weeks into your internship before you're finally able to do something.

2010 Other Employee Reviews for Boeing (View Most Recent)

good

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good place to work as new hirer

Cons

there no much room to grow

none

Not what it was

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Design Aircraft, or at least parts of them.

Cons

CYA rules. Too many McDonald Douglas types in management positions. MD made the best Military aircraft you could want but the worst commercial airliners. McNerney is not an aircraft guy and it shows... now the company hires pedigrees, not talent. The Wright Brothers would not get an interview, same with Jack Northrop or Glenn Curtiss. This should tell you something. Diversity is the name of the game… all about PC, not about aircraft engineering. They hire people who know nothing about aircraft engineering yet are the right [redacted due to NSA]. Now they are looking to only hire young people… most of which couldn’t tell you how [redacted due to NSA] yet hold a degree from some overly expense institution, the fact that this is illegal doesn’t seem to matter. They seem to think having engineers over 50 is some type of liability instead of strength. The 787 is the end result of this, arguably the worst aircraft Boeing ever designed, it’s a black aluminum nightmare.
    Remember that the at least half or more of the people giving you an interview under the new guidelines would not have passed the same interview type when they were hired.

Figure out how to hire talent, not pedigrees. And stop with the pre-employment assessment test, it’s insulting and a sure mark of a company that is screwed up. Anyone with a good background can tell whether a person knows what they’re doing with three questions. Stop looking to hire only younger people, the stress on the older engineers to educate these clowns prevents efficient engineering and oversight. Get rid of or at least change the MD mid management problem… they have a completely different design philosophy than Boeing. Start hiring ONLY American engineers and stop importing engineers from third world [redacted due to NSA] holes. Most of these engineers never even made a paper airplane when they were kids, but you fall all over them because they’re cheap.

There are newer employer reviews for Boeing

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!