Boeing

www.boeing.com
  www.boeing.com
There are newer employer reviews for Boeing

Too many meetings...not enough work

Former Employee - Event Planner in Charleston, SC
Former Employee - Event Planner in Charleston, SC

I worked at Boeing as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great paycheck. The cafeteria is good. People are nice when they're not trying to stab you in the back.

Cons

Slooooooooooow Moooooooooving!

"Group Think Gone Wild" should be the title of this review.

No one can do anything without every single blessed person on the team signing off on it. It really slows things down and discourages innovation. Don't speak up or disagree or you'll be deemed a pariah. Everyone must agree or nothing gets done. So, usually, nothing gets done. Things that should be done in short order end up taking months or years or just fall by the wayside completely.

When you do manage to get something done (that you were actually assigned), don't talk about it or be proud of your accomplishments. Talking about your accomplishments is considered boasting and makes the rest of the team feel bad. So much for team spirit. Goodness knows you wouldn't want to hurt the delicate feelings of those who are scared to death to do anything by themselves. Also, when you hear someone say "Teamwork makes the dream work" interpret it as "YOU get to do THEIR work!" However, don't expect anyone to lift a finger to help you.

In addition, don't try to do anything on your own or utilize independent thought. It terrifies the managers who are trying to microscopically control everything because they don't really know anything. Just sit there, get dumber and collect a steady paycheck.

Also, don't show yourself to be too intelligent for Heaven's Sakes! I was once told from a lady across the hall from me that I was "Smarter than the average Boeing employee." Since I consider myself only of average intelligence, that should have been my first clue! LOL!

No one listened when I was there. I'm done trying to help.

2224 Other Employee Reviews for Boeing (View Most Recent)

Disappointing...misuse of large pool of talented assets...poor personnel management

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good health and retirement savings benefits

Cons

poor HR support....poor talent management by untrained managers...no skill set champions to grow and foster career development....the employee is on his/her own to move up or improve their capabilities

look at what you are losing for the sake of cost-cutting measures...the slow trickle of talent will soon mean a large outflow (i.e., loss) of revenue

Your typical large company

Current Employee - ITCFP Participant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - ITCFP Participant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stability. Once you're in, it's impossible to be fired. You must do something ridiculous to get yourself fired.
    Work/life balance. I hardly see any people work more than 40 hours a week. Since the average employee is pretty old, those folks typically leave work right when they've put in their 8 hours for the day. Management isn't very demanding, which is good for work/life balance

Cons

Old workforce. It's known that +50% of Boeing is within retirement age. So it's rare to see more than 5 people younger than 35 in a group. Half of my group is as old as my own father.
    Sub-par IT organization. Being in the Seattle area, Amazon and Microsoft dominate the tech industry and talent pool. As a result, a lot of the lesser talent ends up at Boeing.
    ITCFP. This is strictly for the ITCFP program, not Boeing in general. The hiring process is painfully broken. New-hires into the program will get the short end of the stick since they don't have access to the Boeing network. The program in general is lacking in organization and cohesiveness. Few of the participants are engaging and come to social events. The program management office does nothing to make the program seems like an actual program. It's very 'do-it-yourself' like.

Don't be afraid to let people go, don't make decisions based on how your superiors will look at you, and get organized

There are newer employer reviews for Boeing