Boeing

A balanced view from a Mechanical Eng. Summer Intern

Current Employee - Summer Intern in El Segundo, CA
Current Employee - Summer Intern in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Boeing gives you the opportunity to work with cutting edge technologies and to contribute to high profile projects. If you are proactive and pursue the many opportunities which are available you can progress through very advance stages of a career at Boeing, both technical and non-technical.

Cons

Boeing is a large bureaucratic company with red tape everywhere. If you are the type of person who feels a need to see the direct impact of their contributions and wants to be engaged with all stages of a project's life cycle, Boeing may not be your place. A young engineer at Boeing, such as me, should expect their involvement to be narrow and focused. Additionally, a young engineer will have a lot of oversight. But this is expected, when dealing with complex systems like aircraft and spacecraft, a highly organized approach is needed.

One additionally note: in recent years Boeing has move away from the manufacturing of many of the required components. At this point they may be thought of as a large scale integrator. A lot of the old timers are bitter about the loss of Boeing’s “real” manufacturing abilities. Some have a more thoughtful outlook and consider the change to be needed as it allows Boeing to leverage the abilities of more specialized manufactures and to remain competitive on a global stage.

Help young employees to gain a better understanding of the company as a whole.

2223 Other Employee Reviews for Boeing (View Most Recent)

College Grad straight to Boeing

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

I'm a 24 year old Software Engineer and I have been employed for 2 years here. Education and Work Life Balance are the sure reasons to work for Boeing. They will subsidize any education you can think of. I took Culinary Arts from the Art Institute and the company paid for it. I am now taking Japanese and Italian and the company paid for it. It's a great place to work if you want to continue your education and have time during your work day to study if needed.

We get 80 hours of vacation which I turn into many many days off since we are allowed to flex our schedule. You can turn a 5 day work week into a 4 day work week by working 4 10's and then take the one day vacation to make it into a 5 day weekend. I've done this many times and my boss has no problem with it.

Many of my coworkers have a family and luckily Boeing is very flexible in working from home or changing your work hours to pick you kid up from school or if there is an emergency. Just alert everyone you're in contact with, give them a cell phone number to call you at, and work when you can.

Cons

The company moves very slow when it comes to change. Moving data, changing servers, acquiring software, EVERYTHING. If you want something done, you essentially need to babysit the task other wise it will be in someone's email for weeks. Everything has to go through multiple change boards which usually meet once a week so if you are luckily extremely luckily it will be done in two days other wise you are looking at two weeks if it is of DIRE IMPORTANCE! If your task is not of high priority or has a work around it will be put off for a while since everyone else has a million things that need to get done NOW.

Don't expect to become wealthy by working at Boeing. Work until you are tired of the benefits.

Leadership isn't based off of talent, it's based off of experience. Sometimes this is okay, most of the times this is bad. Luckily, my manager is great but other people in my organization definitely have the manager from Office Space. Some of the best people to work with at Boeing aren't the management staff. They are either right in the cubical next to you or the ones that acquire the software/hardware you need. Most of them get tired of the constant debating that goes on in management so they stay as far away as possible.

I lucked out and happen to be here for the starting of a leadership forum and training in my organization. I want to move up and this seems to be the only way to really get exposure to the higher ups. Unfortunately most of these programs are in their infancy which leaves them very unorganized and open for modification. I'm hoping that I can learn from the best as quickly as possible otherwise I am just wasting my time here.

EVERYONE IS GOING TO RETIRE IN THE NEXT 10 YEARS! You had better change the Boeing image and way of business to appeal to a younger generation otherwise this company is going to tank and I definitely will not have my entire 401k and Pension based off of that.

Boeing, cool product but management sucks and it's like being put out to pasture.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

The Boeing Company offers a Technology based culture in a professional environment and is one of the most recognized and respected companies in the world. The name is a housewhole name in the Aviation Industry and achieves a lot of credit for it's efforts in advancing and revolutionizing the industry. Most of Boeing's products and services are well known throughout the world. You've probably flown in a 737 jet, a 747 jet, a 757 jet, a 767 jet or a 777 jet. You've probably heard of the C-17 Globemaster plane which was recently used in Afghanistan to deliver food during "Operation Enduring Freedom." Benefits but they don't outweigh the far below market wages.

Cons

Management who are lame duck and give you no support.

Try to at least "look like you care".

There are newer employer reviews for Boeing