There are newer employer reviews for Boeing

A balanced view from a Mechanical Eng. Summer Intern

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  El Segundo, CA
Current Employee - Summer Intern in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Boeing gives you the opportunity to work with cutting edge technologies and to contribute to high profile projects. If you are proactive and pursue the many opportunities which are available you can progress through very advance stages of a career at Boeing, both technical and non-technical.

Cons

Boeing is a large bureaucratic company with red tape everywhere. If you are the type of person who feels a need to see the direct impact of their contributions and wants to be engaged with all stages of a project's life cycle, Boeing may not be your place. A young engineer at Boeing, such as me, should expect their involvement to be narrow and focused. Additionally, a young engineer will have a lot of oversight. But this is expected, when dealing with complex systems like aircraft and spacecraft, a highly organized approach is needed.

One additionally note: in recent years Boeing has move away from the manufacturing of many of the required components. At this point they may be thought of as a large scale integrator. A lot of the old timers are bitter about the loss of Boeing’s “real” manufacturing abilities. Some have a more thoughtful outlook and consider the change to be needed as it allows Boeing to leverage the abilities of more specialized manufactures and to remain competitive on a global stage.

Help young employees to gain a better understanding of the company as a whole.

2031 Other Employee Reviews for Boeing (View Most Recent)

Great company, great benefits, behind on salaries.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Houston, TX

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

At Boeing, we're always working on fascinating projects that are highly visible throughout the world including the Space Shuttle, Space Station, Military aircraft, and commercial aircraft.

Cons

At least in Integrated Defense Systems, you have to deal with all of the nonsense associated with government contracts. Not only does this include countless numbers of people reviewing your every action, but also the "disadvantage company" subcontracting. This leads to two very different compensation scales for the exact same work, and unfortunately it's the Boeing employees who are on the short end.

You're salary tables are good, please use them. We can't retain talent because it leaves for higher pay...pay that they/we should be receiving according to experience and education levels described on the salary tables.

Overall, Boeing provides challenging work with a great work/life balance.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

There are a ton of varied and technically challenging projects to go around. Overall employees are intelligent, friendly, and helpful. The benefits are great...we get a pension, 401k (with company match of 6%), completely free healthcare, tuition, 10 sick days, paid vacation, and the week of Christmas off. Another nice perk is the ability to telecommute and work flexible hours.

Cons

Vacation takes too long to accrue...we start with two weeks plus the week of Christmas and it takes nine years to move to three weeks. Our facilities are dated (from the 80s) and there are a lot of older employees. Boeing is huge (150,000 ish employees) so the bureaucracy can be annoying. There seems to be a lot of work that is duplicated around the company. We can't keep losing big contracts.

The share value trust program is great. I would suggest implementing a similar program in the future.

There are newer employer reviews for Boeing

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!