Boeing

A balanced view from a Mechanical Eng. Summer Intern

Current Employee - Summer Intern in El Segundo, CA
Current Employee - Summer Intern in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Boeing gives you the opportunity to work with cutting edge technologies and to contribute to high profile projects. If you are proactive and pursue the many opportunities which are available you can progress through very advance stages of a career at Boeing, both technical and non-technical.

Cons

Boeing is a large bureaucratic company with red tape everywhere. If you are the type of person who feels a need to see the direct impact of their contributions and wants to be engaged with all stages of a project's life cycle, Boeing may not be your place. A young engineer at Boeing, such as me, should expect their involvement to be narrow and focused. Additionally, a young engineer will have a lot of oversight. But this is expected, when dealing with complex systems like aircraft and spacecraft, a highly organized approach is needed.

One additionally note: in recent years Boeing has move away from the manufacturing of many of the required components. At this point they may be thought of as a large scale integrator. A lot of the old timers are bitter about the loss of Boeing’s “real” manufacturing abilities. Some have a more thoughtful outlook and consider the change to be needed as it allows Boeing to leverage the abilities of more specialized manufactures and to remain competitive on a global stage.

Help young employees to gain a better understanding of the company as a whole.

2183 Other Employee Reviews for Boeing (View Most Recent)

Lots of opoprtunites within the company if you know where to look.....its a BIG place!

Current Employee - Analyst/Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Analyst/Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Great people, great benefits, lots of opportunites

Cons

Not easy for new hires and "millenials" to assimilate.........flow down and training from team members is not great............is horrible in some areas. People are too busy to train the new members of their team!

Not sure

Lots of projects, huge bureaucracy

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Boeing

Pros

You have the opportunity to work on cool and important projects with great access to technology you'd never see otherwise. You can work on commercial aircraft, defense, and space systems all within the same company.

Cons

Huge bureaucracy. Promotions based on seniority rather than merit. I was kept out of a promotion because I was one year short of experience for the position, even though my daily responsibilities already matched the job description for the promotion I was pursuing.

There are a lot of bad software engineers at Boeing. I worked on a team of 16, and there were really only 3-5 competent contributors.

Fire your bad software engineers. Move more towards a meritocracy rather than rewarding based on seniority. Get rid of the pension for new employees and use the money to reward good employees and hire new ones.

There are newer employer reviews for Boeing