There are newer employer reviews for Boeing

Summer Internship

Former Employee - Procurement Agent  in  Everett, WA
Former Employee - Procurement Agent in Everett, WA

I worked at Boeing

Pros

Tons of opportunities for interns, competitive salaries

Cons

Understaffed, outdated computer software, early hours

Less bureaucracy

2058 Other Employee Reviews for Boeing (View Most Recent)

Overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Tool Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Tool Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

- Above average pay & great insurance
    - Very easy to work flex time / take time off, depending on your manager of course
    - Cool products
    - Lower Level/group management is general very competent and tend to take care of their direct reports.
    - Despite the typical "union" attitude of some shop workers, the union workforce is very competent and good at what they do & they save engineer's butts more often than anyone will admit.

Cons

- Company is very baby boomer heavy and not many are retiring. This means there are not many opportunities for new hires and you may get stuck in some menial jobs for awhile. I think this will hurt the company in the long run because people like me are tired of wasting their time and are actively looking for jobs at competitors. So once the boomers start retiring, there will be a shortage of experienced people to pick up the slack.
    - Company is getting hit fairly hard with gov't spending cuts and pressure from 787/747-800 schedule slips, so there is very little "overhead" budget or company funded programs right now.
    - Because of the $ crunch, many "development oriented" functions like aerodynamics, propulsion, avionics, etc. are almost at the stage of laying people off due to the lack of work/budget to support people.
    - Middle level management (department managers & up) are hit or miss as far as competence. I think the dept managers are good at their jobs, but there are way too many upper level managers that work in bureaucratic positions between the execs running the company and the managers supporting the programs, and this muddies up everything.
    - Has not won a major US Gov't contract since the MDC merger!!! If we don't win a major contract in 5 yrs, the IDS division will probably be bought by Northrop or LM by 2020.

Need to cut down on the mid level bureaucracy and find ways to fund internal development so we can cultivate the talent that the company will need to win a major contract or two for NEW systems so we can stay in business.

Pros and Cons of working at Boeing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Employees are treated fairly, provided with interesting work, and good pay and benefits. Corporate values are taken seriously and do not take a back seat to profit.

Cons

The defense industry is cyclical and subject to political agendas and budgets. The combination of economic downturn and declining defense budgets has reduced the number of new product starts and consequently the need for development engineers.

Capitalize on the company's grasp of department of defense contracting to break into contracting with other government departments and agencies (Education, Justice, State, etc.) that have budget level cycles that are out of phase with the department of defense to better stabilize revenue and work.

There are newer employer reviews for Boeing

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!