There are newer employer reviews for Bon-Ton Stores

Bitter Sweet

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of great people, full of energy and extremely talented.

Cons

Great Ideas not appreciated by Senior Management. In the time I was there I witnessed 11 people move on to Kohls or some other competitor and at least 13 people fired or lost jobs under "restructuring". The Senior Management definitely had favorites and many people were looked over by newcomers when they themselves were qualified for open positions.

Upgrade staff moral. Hold accountable the ones who should be held accountable and allow the talents of the younger employees to exist in the business.

259 Other Employee Reviews for Bon-Ton Stores (View Most Recent)

If you're willing to play the politics game, you can do well.

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores

Pros

The benefits are good, compared to most of my friends and relatives, we have it pretty good. I have no complaints about that. I happen to have been lucky, and had very good bosses in the positions I've had here, which a big part of why I haven't left the company. If I'd end up in a position with a boss I didn't get along with, I'll be out ASAP.

Cons

The company has a bi-polar atmosphere, the mood overall in the workplace can change overnight. You can sometimes feel like a piece on a chess board, associates being moved to positions they don't necessarily want, frequent restructuring. Business has been bad, so upper management is making changes constantly, and we've constantly redoing things we've already done. It's very frustrating.

Senior management doesn't seem to take in to consideration (or they just don't care) about how much work is involved in a lot of the things they change all the time. They say jump, and just expect the middle and lower levels to do it, regardless of the extra time, effort, sweat and tears required. A lot of the senior management doesn't seem to recognize that we do have social and personal lives outside of the company, and will set meetings for 5pm, reschedule things at the last minute, just seem to be very inconsiderate of others' time. A little more consideration for the people under you would go a very far way.

Brendan Hoffman hasn't been with us long enough for me to have formed a solid opinion. He seems to have some great ideas, hopefully he can execute them in an appropriate way.

I have had a positive experience overall.

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores

Pros

Its a small company so not a lot of layers of management to go through to get things done. Good balance of work and life style.

Cons

Poor marketing resulting in poor sales. Senior management. Is old and is not up with current trends.

Change marketing upper management. Have a clearly defined customer profile

There are newer employer reviews for Bon-Ton Stores