There are newer employer reviews for Bon-Ton Stores

Zero Diversity in the company. Easy entry-level job after college.

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer/Planner/Inventory Planner in Milwaukee, WI
Current Employee - Assistant Buyer/Planner/Inventory Planner in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time

Pros

Entry-level Training program- option to choose from Assistant Buyer/Assistant Merchandise Planner/Assistant Inventory Planner. Good employee discounts (1 year+ is 25%). Associates-only sample sales.

Cons

Heavily-White company with people mostly from the Midwest. HR gives a false sense of a speedy promotion. Difficult to be promoted internally. Limited upper-management exposure for the assistants. Long working hours for salaried associates. Assistant work is mostly task-driven and less of analysis.

Advice to Management

We need more team members from different backgrounds. Assistant Roles should be more focused on learning the business and less on the administrative work of an Merchandise Assistant.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Unfriendly, unrealistic goals, do not work with you on schedules.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockford, IL

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was nothing good to say. Sick to my stomach going to work here.

Cons

Expectations are unrealistic, sales goals are instituted using projections, therefore there is alot of associates fighting for register sales time. No one wants to straighten the merchandise as a result. Unfriendly management. Cannot go to school and manage this job. They want total open availibilty. New department supervisor had no previous clothing retail skills and yelled at coworker at the register in front of a customer. Unprofessional terrible place to work.

2. Intimidation and made me feel like I had no self worth!

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I sat here for 5 minutes trying to think of something positive and I honestly couldn't.

Cons

They use intimidation to manipulate you into feeling like your lucky to have the job you have even though the Herberger's at the Virginia, MN location can't keep there employees for very long. Huge turnover in the departments. Be careful if you seek employemnt at this location because the management is very underqualified to do there job properly. They hand you vital imformation at the very last minute, expect you to do work not specific to your job title, and will use their crafty manipulation to try to make you feel "less than competent". Please be aware when applying for a position at this location.

Advice to Management

The way you use dictatorship to operate Herberger's is failing around you. Your locations deficiency by trying to put the blame on your empoyees instead of taking the responsibility of the management is appalling. The management team at this location needs a total revision.