There are newer employer reviews for Bon-Ton Stores

If you work hard, you can advance

Former Employee - Assistant Planner in Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Assistant Planner in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for recent college grads.
If you are willing to put in long hours & learn the business assigned, you can grow fast.
Discounts & sample sales are a great benefit.

Cons

A lot of re-visiting the same projects & revising plans.
The overall morale largely is based on the success or decline of company performance.

Continue to invest in technology & improve systems.

259 Other Employee Reviews for Bon-Ton Stores (View Most Recent)

Great Experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in York, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in York, PA

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The managers would listen to my suggestions and even implement some. They worked around my school schedule and even hired me back over the holiday season.

Cons

Some of the other sales associates would not follow rules which would make my job harder. They would make their 15 minute break a 30 minute break.

Enforce sales associate break times. When someone takes a longer break it affects everyone.

Avoid this company like the plague

Former Employee - Information Technology in York, PA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in York, PA

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People within your team are generally helpful and camaraderie is built quickly around your common suffering. Outside of the few friends made there, there isn't much decent to say about the place.

Cons

Where to begin? The work environment is rather laid back because there isn't much direction; most days no one knows what you do if you do anything at all. If you don't want to learn or grow your career or knowledge, this is the place to be. I honestly feel stupider for having worked there. In over 5 years I was given a cumulative total of a 3% raise which was high for my department. The work environment is dirty and unkept, there is way too much middle management and none of them care about anything except themselves. We were subjected to 3 layoffs in my 5 year employment period (all of which I survived) and created a constant fear of not having a job at any given point and cultivated a feeling of apathy towards the success of the ompany There are constant bad monetary decisions made which had many of us puzzled as to how the company remained in business for so long. My title says it all; avoid this place like the plague.

People have talent and aren't expendable. Invest in your employees, allow them to grow and listen to their ideas. Giving people some value will in turn increase the value of the company. If you don't, you'll need to hire a band cause that's the only difference between the Bonton and the Titanic.

There are newer employer reviews for Bon-Ton Stores