There are newer employer reviews for Bon-Ton Stores

Ok place to work if you don't like being around a lot of people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ashland, KY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashland, KY

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's helps pay the bills.the people you work around are great people everyone watches out for each other.

Cons

Can never get the stuff you need to make your less stressful.the area sucks because there is nothing in the mall but just a few other small stores

250 Other Employee Reviews for Bon-Ton Stores (View Most Recent)

Great PT job if you just want some extra money to spend, NOT for full time

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty much what everyone else is saying:
    -Generous discount
    -Great merchandise (for the most part)
    -Coupons can get you really good deals if you know how to use them (which we associates are pro at of course;)
    -Bonding time with co-workers as we make complain about the ridiculous decisions upper management makes
    -Hours are relatively easy to pick up since a lot of people tend to call off "sick" or want to shift switch
    -Mid-level managers are pretty nice and easygoing
    -I've met some ridiculously kind, sweet customers that just make your day!

This is a good job for a student or someone who just wants to earn a little extra cash to spend and buy some cute stuff at a great price!

Cons

-Very stressful workdays (esp. weekends) because they keep cutting hours so we are constantly understaffed and the department is on the brink of collapse

-Company doesn't weed out the incompetent employees and doesn't do a terribly swell job of training new ones unfortunately

-Coupon exclusions, my god!

-There are email/credit goals that the managers push on you...but if this is just a part-time, side job (as in your financial situation isn't that dependent on it), don't obsess about whether you meet your goal or not. Cause if you're a dependable employee who gets things done and makes customers happy, they won't fire you. And if they do, that's completely their loss. Don't take this job *too* seriously and you will have fun with it!

Middle management is fine for the most part..sometimes I feel bad for them because they have so much pressure from upper level.

It's the store managers that need work. LISTEN to us about ways to improve our departments (because believe me, we are EXPERTS in that field) . Stop letting the Display people run the store and make everything completely unshoppable.

Obsessed with employee theft and do not care about employee's personal problems.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good discount program, mostly for full-time retirees. Flexible schedule.

Cons

The company doesn't do background checks, but is obsessed with employee theft and clerical errors that cost the company money.
    A friend's child was in the ICU and they expected her to work long hours rather than go back to her child when she finished her workload.
    Another employee was asked questions about her job, which they used to make it sound like she was actively aware of a little-known policy she had broken.
    Whole company is obsessed with email captures, pushing the credit card and selling random items. Employees who don't meet goals have to retake training and classes repeatedly.
    No room to advance.
    Weird work hours, store hours are constantly changing.
    Barely makes their profit margins- wouldn't be surprised if

Be more caring. These people work for you, help make the company work for them.

There are newer employer reviews for Bon-Ton Stores

Worked for Bon-Ton Stores? Contribute to the Community!