Bon-Ton Stores

www.bonton.com
  www.bonton.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bon-Ton Stores

Nice department store if you like retail

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time

Pros

Exciting, fast paced retail environment. 25% discount on top of great sales is generous. Good benefit package for full timers. Nice retail sales job for college students and retirees.

Cons

Retail isn't for everyone - you're always on your feet. Special sales can have you starting at 6am and working as late as midnight. Raises are based on merit reviews and it's almost impossible to get the maximum .25/hr. raise. Lots of pressure to meet sales/credit goals. Very few opportunities for advancement. There's a very high employee turnover rate - employees get burned out from the pressure or discouraged when they realize they're at a dead end job.

none for store managers because they too are under a lot of pressure from their higher-ups to meet their goals and quotas. Advice to corporate - get out and try working a month in a store to experience the pressure, under staffing and low wages.

270 Other Employee Reviews for Bon-Ton Stores (View Most Recent)

Ok place to work if you don't like being around a lot of people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashland, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashland, KY

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's helps pay the bills.the people you work around are great people everyone watches out for each other.

Cons

Can never get the stuff you need to make your less stressful.the area sucks because there is nothing in the mall but just a few other small stores

Great PT job if you just want some extra money to spend, NOT for full time

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty much what everyone else is saying:
    -Generous discount
    -Great merchandise (for the most part)
    -Coupons can get you really good deals if you know how to use them (which we associates are pro at of course;)
    -Bonding time with co-workers as we make complain about the ridiculous decisions upper management makes
    -Hours are relatively easy to pick up since a lot of people tend to call off "sick" or want to shift switch
    -Mid-level managers are pretty nice and easygoing
    -I've met some ridiculously kind, sweet customers that just make your day!

This is a good job for a student or someone who just wants to earn a little extra cash to spend and buy some cute stuff at a great price!

Cons

-Very stressful workdays (esp. weekends) because they keep cutting hours so we are constantly understaffed and the department is on the brink of collapse

-Company doesn't weed out the incompetent employees and doesn't do a terribly swell job of training new ones unfortunately

-Coupon exclusions, my god!

-There are email/credit goals that the managers push on you...but if this is just a part-time, side job (as in your financial situation isn't that dependent on it), don't obsess about whether you meet your goal or not. Cause if you're a dependable employee who gets things done and makes customers happy, they won't fire you. And if they do, that's completely their loss. Don't take this job *too* seriously and you will have fun with it!

Middle management is fine for the most part..sometimes I feel bad for them because they have so much pressure from upper level.

It's the store managers that need work. LISTEN to us about ways to improve our departments (because believe me, we are EXPERTS in that field) . Stop letting the Display people run the store and make everything completely unshoppable.

There are newer employer reviews for Bon-Ton Stores