Demanding customers, demanding management

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You receive an employee discount on most items, and the discount increases the longer you're employed (but not by much). Some shifts can be mindless and stress free when it's slow, and your only job is to make the merchandise look presentable. My hours worked well for my schedule because I had school on weekdays and worked short shifts in the evenings.

Cons

You are required to ask everyone to open a charge card, and I mean everyone. If you don't meet your charge card goal, management is not happy. All the coupons have numerous restrictions. I've had coworkers cry from angry customers blaming the sales associates when their coupon did not apply to the item they wanted to purchase. Customers can be ruthless when it comes to saving money and getting their way. They love taking out their frustration on sales associates, so come to work mentally prepared.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Top Heavy

Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of talented people and challenging work.

Cons

Unethical work environment and low/no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Terminate individuals with the "Sears" mentality.

Decent but terrible management.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Clinton Township, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Clinton Township, MI

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the better parts of the job are the sometimes friendly coworkers and the pay. They pay better than most entry level jobs and give a decent discount.

Cons

The frequent cutback on hours that make it impossible to get anything done. The store is always "over hours" so department managers are always being forced to cut back on the employees hours. The never endings supply of coupons that are wrecking the reputation that was built by the former name plate of Parisian is literally destroyed. All we get for the most part are bottom of the barrel customers that treat associates like dirt. We have a very nice store manager, but he is to nice and is a push over. The store is always a complete mess, only one associate per area in my area which is a high volume area whereas the bra department (Managed by Rima Horne) always has 2-3 people working in that one department that is NOT a high volume are.

Advice to Management

Cut back on the coupons that are wrecking the company name, actually listen to the employees and not the managers about some issues, and don't tell stores when you are coming so you can actually see how the stores are on any given day. An incentive program should be implemented to boost an extremely low moral. And I don't mean "get $2 for every charge you open." PEOPLE DON'T WANT THEM AND WONT OPEN THEM!