There are newer employer reviews for Bon-Ton Stores

It's Retail, what can you do?

Former Employee - Associate in Bloomington, MN
Former Employee - Associate in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores

Pros

Flexible schedule, other employees are usually nice people, management is good, pay is alright, the clothing discount is 25% after 1 year of employment

Cons

Management does a terrible job of disciplining poor associates, lots of time standing which is painful on your feet because you have to wear dress shoes which usually are not very comfortable, during the holiday season it gets ridiculously busy and customers are usually rude and irritated which makes your day worse as well.

Revamp the store because it looks like a Kohls, bring back the sturdy shopping bags with handles, put in windows on the upper floor, and CHANGE THE MUSIC EVERY NOW AND THEN.

262 Other Employee Reviews for Bon-Ton Stores (View Most Recent)

Good job, but don't expect to go anywhere

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Quincy, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Quincy, IL

I worked at Bon-Ton Stores

Pros

20/25% employee discount, flexible hours, camaraderie amongst sales associates, managers are good, plenty of stuff to be done. Overall I'd recommend the job to high school/college kids, but look over the cons and remember that this is a dead-end job in what I consider a company that isn't advancing beyond 1994.

Cons

- Training was minimal to say the least. My training was a computer test which took 3 hours which I took on November 17th and my first day was Black Friday!
    - After being praised for all my hard work and a good year-end review, I got a 10-cent raise. The saddest part was that I had one of the biggest raises in the store (aside from managers, of course)
    - Everyone works more and gets paid less. Expect to manage the entire sales floor for your department, meaning that if you're helping a customer and another customer needs to check out, you need to leave the customer for a few minutes. Depending on the person, this can lose a sale or make for one angry tirade.
    - Doesn't matter if you do all your tasks and leave the department spotless and restocked if you didn't get people to sign up for credit cards.
    - Nonsensical higher management. For about 6 months, nobody worked in the textiles or one of the women's departments. It looked worse than Big Lots or a thrift store. This became a hotbed for theft. Also, we had tables and such that looked like they belonged in garage work benches, not retail sales.
    - Hour cuts are the norm.

You can't have a department store and leave multiple department stores unstaffed all the time. If you want that, just open registers near the doors and turn it into Wal Mart.
    Pay your employees if you want the good ones to stay.

Pays well but that is the only positive aspect of being employed there.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Blaine, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Blaine, MN

I have been working at Bon-Ton Stores

Pros

Good pay, great clientele, and friendly co- workers.

Cons

Regardless of length of service or excellent reviews, management uses scheduling as a way to punish employees. Hours are not fairly distributed by management and it is blatantly obvious.

Treat employees with respect because they are competent and capable. If you don't like your job, leave. Don't take your unhappiness out on great employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Bon-Ton Stores