Booking.com

There are newer employer reviews for Booking.com

At Most, A Stepping Stone

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You don't need much knowledge or experience to step into most roles at the company in order to succeed. They provide plenty of training and overview (considered by some to be overkill) before you even lift a finger in whatever role you'll fill. The jobs themselves are easy and the tools provided basically hand-feed you all the relevant information. The benefits package is decent, there are company-sponsored happy hours generally once per month and a company holiday party held in Amsterdam each winter. Also, this is the epitome of a 9-5 job, where there is rarely anything so important that it can't wait until your next workday.

Cons

While easy, the work load in the last year for most roles at the company has grown so exponentially that it has become bitterly overwhelming. The constant merging and purging that that company has done has left the remaining employees accumulating new responsibilities with no additional compensation and with low morale (fearing future secret decisions will lead to further mass displacement or firings). Speaking of which, pay is beyond low. The company pays well below the average compared to other top competitors within a similar industry and the standards for earning the quarterly bonuses keep changing. Many employees have even half-jokingly accused the company of "testing" for ways to make it impossible to earn. Most managers lack knowledge, leadership skills or both. Opportunities are extremely rare at this point within any of the established offices in the US and most that do become available are often filled with candidates from the European offices. In my time with the company, 11 upper level positions (senior or better) became available and only 4 were filled with candidates from our local office (and only 2 candidates were from low-level positions in the office) and I was part of one of the biggest offices in the US.

Practice humility and show as much respect for your workforce as you expect from them. Be prepared to earn your status with your actions, knowledge and leadership. Accountability is not only good for productivity but is a major cog in maintaining good morale. Your workers absolutely do not want to continuously be carrying the laziness or incompetence of others.

267 Other Employee Reviews for Booking.com (View Most Recent)

Certain perks, but didn't buy into company culture

Former Employee - Revenue Manager
    Former Employee - Revenue Manager

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-work happy hours, lunches
    -clean, state of the art office
    -great benefits
    -interesting travel opportunities for training & hotel visits
    -international, successful company

Cons

-employees are recognized, but on arbitrary booking records based on seasonal demand, not necessarily performance
    -very high turnover which goes unaddressed and thereby decreases office morale
    -lots of closed-door meetings and back-biting
    -lower pay than competitors
    -Senior Account Managers play favorites and hire/promote people not necessarily qualified (ie. people without bachelors degrees or revenue management backgrounds)
    -Ideas and suggestions on process changes are unwelcome

try to create a better environment to improve retention & work ethic

Very Misleading

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Booking.com full-time

Pros

Decent training program, and have remained close with the associates in my training class.

Cons

Management that really go against what the company claims. Instead of looking out for the interests of their team and crafting a development plan, they are consistently looking out for their own self-interests. I received an enormous amount of work to complete in a very short amount of time, received little to no praise for the work I completed, and never felt valued by the company for the short time I was there.

Please phrase your job descriptions more accurately in the future; a Coordinator should not be as administrative and clerical as mine ended up being. Also, serve as a mentor for your team and be relationship builders as managers. I was very unhappy with my experience at Booking.com, from day 1 until I left the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Booking.com