Booking.com

www.workingatbooking.com
There are newer employer reviews for Booking.com

An average MNC

Former Employee - Coordinator in Singapore (Singapore)
Former Employee - Coordinator in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Booking.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good exposures, training.

Good for fresh graduates.

Cons

Management doesn't look at your individual performance but only look at how well you pacify the bosses.

Dutch First, Europeans second and Asians third. Typical Foreign MNC culture.

Pay structure is average. But no 13th month bonus and only quarterly incentives which is below Par.

Rate people according to their performance and not the way the keep you happy personally..

302 Other Employee Reviews for Booking.com (View Most Recent)

Good

Current Employee - Customer Service Executive in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good parties and great people.

Cons

Boring job. Little chance of promotion, brain washing.

Being paid, little, for endless hours of drudgery, whilst never really having found the time to get out.

Current Employee - Content Editor
    Current Employee - Content Editor

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The fellow plebeians who understand the preposterous insignificance of this job. The fact that at least their is ample chance to meet people who you can help, and can help you get a life. Socially this place has given us the chance for endless hours of jokes, sex and free alcohol. There are, gracefully, many fairly attractive people across the various offices, so at least networking has some point to it. Most of us being drunk half the time is the only way this company doesn't implode

Cons

The main task for an employee is to navigate the endless corridors of the Byzantine bureaucracy in order to find out what it is you are here for. After 2 years in this position I'm still not exactly sure. Trying to figure out what my job is, is like seeing an oasis in the desert.

When asked "Why am I here for 40 hours when, as far as I can see, I could do this job in 20?",, middle management refer to the catch-22 of "development". They are not referring to, it turns out, sorting your life out in order to get a real job, strangely.

A word on development (this is the be-all and end-all of the company's culture)

Having no use for all the skills you have acquired up to this point in life, social, academic, professional or otherwise, you are meant to come up with a cunning plan (PDP ) on how you are going to develop yourself. You are allowed little help or advice in this area. This is mainly because the managers themselves have no idea what they are doing either, aren't involved in their teams (apart from chasing the El Dorado of obtaining a PDP) and, developing hoi polloi too fast might mean that their own role becomes obsolete.

The idea is that the goals placed in your plan should be both personal and related to your role, i.e. technical. It doesn't take long (for some) to realize in practice the goals sum up to spying on your colleagues, pushing yourself aggressively above others, being loud, being bitchy, admiration of admin for its own sake, keeping information secret even when the usefulness of the information has expired and first and foremost, schmoozing with your stiff, boring stooges you call your colleagues. I won't bother you with the corporate synonyms for these terms.

One example of the fraudulent action items we are forced to place in our PDPs would be "communication skills". I have improved mine immensely in the time I've been here. This was done by leaning how to "influence" my pairs. By influence read manipulate, upstage, machinate or simply control to gain advantage over them in the horizontal (read vertical) hierarchy.

The "free" food is usually fit only for sub-normals.

Everybody is pregnant (see pros) or talks endlessly about the imbeciles they have created to replace themselves.

When the results of an office wide annual survey concludes that we are not happy with our salary (only 23% said they were happy with the money) and less than half said they felt like they belonged in the future of the company. Overall the results to most of the questions were shockingly bad and damning.

The reaction to this personifies what is wrong with this company: We were made to participate in endless hours of workshops to come up with plans/strategies/pillars/pledges (heaven help us), at workshops designed specifically to come up with ideas why we have made OURSELVES so unhappy.

How dare a company take this approach to honest feedback? It is to be, beyond any shadow of doubt, called idiots to our faces.

You need to fundamentally grasp that this is no one's dream job, so at least make the daily reality bearable by giving the endless propaganda a rest. We are bored (all the vaguely interesting jobs are not available in the local offices), underpaid, and lack any confidence in our futures with this company. We know our impact is zero. And the few of us who may succeed would eventually need to move to Amsterdam, one of the deepest caverns of hell.

Pay us more and trust in the capabilities of your staff... or put them out of their misery and fire them so everybody benefits = It's only a job, we know we are too stupid to become dungeon master at google. A wage that we could actually save money on so we can paid off our immoral student loads, as well as being able to enjoy the city we live in, would make this menial nonsense immeasurably more bearable.

There are newer employer reviews for Booking.com