Books-A-Million

www.booksamillion.com
There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million

Good for initial experience, but don't stick around

Current Employee - Co-Manager
Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

Easy to get promoted from associate to manager which is great for people wanting some initial management experience
Can check out any book in the store for free
Experience in sales
Lots of great people and hard workers

Cons

Focus is almost 100% on selling memberships and magazine programs. Although these programs do increase sales and gain some new customers, it ends up driving off many, many others who do not like being hounded every time they go to check out.
Not customer focused
Industry is dying - unless BAM completely changes their brand their focus they will go out of business in the near future.
Upper management does not listen
Terrible pay

Listen. I can't count the number of times I have gone to management above me over specific issues only to be blown off. Especially since I am in management myself, it is frustrating when I go to my DM with issues only to have him end up talking the whole time and not ever address the issue. I have now had 2 managers above me fudge numbers in order to make their shifts look better (I wouldn't have noticed except they hurt mine) and when brought to the attention of my DM nothing was done. There is a lot of dishonesty in management within individual stores in order to get numbers.

489 Other Employee Reviews for Books-A-Million (View Most Recent)

overall good but not enough "thanks"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Books-A-Million

Pros

great staff, great dm (atleast in my area) new product

Cons

not enough "thanks". hours cut

walk the talk and have more incentives to encourage growth of staff

Sounds fine... at first

Former Employee - Bookseller
    Former Employee - Bookseller

I worked at Books-A-Million

Pros

-Interacting with customers on the floor
    -30% discount on the first of the month
    -Many jeans weekends for charity
    -Flexible scheduling

Cons

-Those dreaded discount cards first of all. As everyone has said that is 100% of their goal. It doesn't matter how satisfied the customers are, or how helpful and friendly you were, if you don't reach that percentage you need, you're going to get chewed out. You're told to not give up on that card unless you get 3 "no's" from the customer. That's such badgering that it'll make them not want to ever come back! I also got a stern talking to at one point, because I wasn't selling enough magazine subscriptions.
    -I was also told to put on a happy face for the customers all the time, even if it was fake. And while that's a totally resonable request, this manager issuing it was consistantly in a bad mood behind the register! Talk about hypocritical.
    -Then they kept bringing in more and more former Border's employees/friends while cutting my hours. I was barely making enough to get by, and was totally open to more hours, but instead they hire their friends, and gave them way more hours than me.
    -Then they eventually fired me for a small infraction

Value a good employee. Obviously, don't put so much importance on the membership cards. Don't let the store managers just hire all their friends.

There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million