Books-A-Million

www.booksamillion.com
  www.booksamillion.com
There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million

Good for initial experience, but don't stick around

Current Employee - Co-Manager
Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

Easy to get promoted from associate to manager which is great for people wanting some initial management experience
Can check out any book in the store for free
Experience in sales
Lots of great people and hard workers

Cons

Focus is almost 100% on selling memberships and magazine programs. Although these programs do increase sales and gain some new customers, it ends up driving off many, many others who do not like being hounded every time they go to check out.
Not customer focused
Industry is dying - unless BAM completely changes their brand their focus they will go out of business in the near future.
Upper management does not listen
Terrible pay

Listen. I can't count the number of times I have gone to management above me over specific issues only to be blown off. Especially since I am in management myself, it is frustrating when I go to my DM with issues only to have him end up talking the whole time and not ever address the issue. I have now had 2 managers above me fudge numbers in order to make their shifts look better (I wouldn't have noticed except they hurt mine) and when brought to the attention of my DM nothing was done. There is a lot of dishonesty in management within individual stores in order to get numbers.

423 Other Employee Reviews for Books-A-Million (View Most Recent)

Amazing... At times.

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager

I worked at Books-A-Million

Pros

If it weren't for my staff, I wouldn't have lasted as long at Books-A-Million. My co-workers all meant the world to me and I still make it a point to check in once or twice a week to see how they're/the store is doing. I put a lot of time and pride into my store and even though there were times where we were pushed a little too hard, berated by senior management, and outright lied to, it was honestly the best job I ever had. The 20% employee discount was sufficient, although was rarely used on books, more on general merchandise and cafe items. Even the 1st of the month/Christmas season 30% wasn't really worth it but was within industry standards. Our store received quite a few Advanced Reader books that made up for the discount in my opinion.

Personally, I never had any trouble with the Discount Card, a little price inflating here and there and maybe buying the customer a coffee or baked good and I was good to go. I was never worried I wouldn't have a job the next day. Magazines we my downfall but we had certain employees who shined so I really didn't have to worry about it.

Cons

Full time benefits aren't as good as with other companies and pay is lower than expected for the amount of work done on a daily basis. For those who took the initiate to beat down customers in order to achieve Discount Card percentages and Magazine goals, rewards were given as well as praise from senior management. For those who didn't, hours we cut and jobs were threatened. Fortunately, those decisions now come from the DM and not GM so it takes a little of the guilt out of the equation. They cut shipping and cafe specialist positions and put those duties on the MOD, as if we didn't have enough to do with constant conference calls, 1-on-1's and Store Appraisals. Monthly scanning for overstock was a constant hassle with a bare bones staff, usually 1 cashier, 1 cafe person, and the manager except on saturdays where we were allowed 1 extra person per shift.

Sounds fine... at first

Former Employee - Bookseller
    Former Employee - Bookseller

I worked at Books-A-Million

Pros

-Interacting with customers on the floor
    -30% discount on the first of the month
    -Many jeans weekends for charity
    -Flexible scheduling

Cons

-Those dreaded discount cards first of all. As everyone has said that is 100% of their goal. It doesn't matter how satisfied the customers are, or how helpful and friendly you were, if you don't reach that percentage you need, you're going to get chewed out. You're told to not give up on that card unless you get 3 "no's" from the customer. That's such badgering that it'll make them not want to ever come back! I also got a stern talking to at one point, because I wasn't selling enough magazine subscriptions.
    -I was also told to put on a happy face for the customers all the time, even if it was fake. And while that's a totally resonable request, this manager issuing it was consistantly in a bad mood behind the register! Talk about hypocritical.
    -Then they kept bringing in more and more former Border's employees/friends while cutting my hours. I was barely making enough to get by, and was totally open to more hours, but instead they hire their friends, and gave them way more hours than me.
    -Then they eventually fired me for a small infraction

Value a good employee. Obviously, don't put so much importance on the membership cards. Don't let the store managers just hire all their friends.

There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million