Not bad but pretty bad

Former Employee - Bookseller in Lakeland, FL
Former Employee - Bookseller in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Books-A-Million

Pros

20% discount, 30% discount on the 1st of the month
usually nice employees to work with
easily give yourself a raise (also see below)

Cons

the pay for this job is minimum wage ($7.31/hr here) and they justify that by saying you can give yourself a raise by selling their overpriced discount cards and their magazine scheme -- yes, people want to PAY to receive a discount (ha.)
seeing as how the store is open until 11pm, you often didn't go home until 1am or sometimes 2am on the weekends
we must've had 4 different assistant managers at the store which seems like a lot, a few in particular were hard to work with (but that's many retail jobs)
our store required an overnight shift once a month, but don't be surprised if you were scheduled 4+ weeks in a row, meaning you come in at 12am and work until 8am, restocking stuff from the truck (no extra pay received from this either)

Advice to Management

stop with the discount cards, they're overpriced for what they do and its a big requirement for such a low paying job

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A lot of hours with low compensation.

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

Checking out the books for free.

Cons

Low pay, ineffective communication between corporate office and the store level.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with more respect.

Worst place I've ever worked!

Former Employee - Cashier in Madison, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Madison, TN

I worked at Books-A-Million

Pros

Discount on books, and cafe items

Cons

First of all, everyone starts off at minimum wage....regardless of the experience you have. Management does not care where you worked before! They just want you to sell the discount cards! I worked in a hospital before I worked here that was high pressure and really stressful and you know what!? This place was more stressful! I went home crying everyday because it was horrible. So much pressure to sell cards and half the time you are the only one at the register when its slammed. I sold cards and was just barely below my percentage every week yet somehow the woman who has work there for 15 years and hasn't sold a card in MONTHS gets no discipline whats so ever. My assistant manager would discipline me in front of customers, the head manager would raise her voice at me and belittle me. It was horrible. I received little to no training and when I was thrown out on the floor and not doing things correctly I got yelled at for it. This was my experience at store #663. I only lasted 2 months. I feel sorry for people that work here it is like being trapped in hell. This should be a relaxing peaceful place to work and it was the opposite of that. I tried contacting HR about my problems there (because I was basically being bullied) and got absolutely no response!

Advice to Management

Stop with the stupid discount cards no one has money anyway right now! You are losing business! All of your customers are going to Barnes and Noble up the street. Hey here's a thought...treat your employees like they mean something and maybe you will have a better more successful company!!!