Books-A-Million

There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million

Buying time

Former Employee - Cafe Seller
Former Employee - Cafe Seller

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co workers made my day
My managers for the most part did their best and overall didn't bother me so much about pushing cards/magazines.

Cons

Making under $7.50 an hour for everything that is expected of you..is rude. Everyday there is a speech about selling club cards or magazines, meanwhile there is no one in the store to help customers and you are stretched pretty thin. Working a open to close (10-8) Sunday shift, because hours are cut and still only get a 30 min break.

Pay your workers as if you have some decency. Understand you won't have people who want to work for you if they get paid nothing and then get in trouble for not making the numbers. Figure something else out, because you will lose workers who indeed love books and people and get stuck with ppl who barely work and make no real effort to make the experience worth it for the customers.

430 Other Employee Reviews for Books-A-Million (View Most Recent)

It's what you make of it.

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

My coworkers made this job for me. A lot of us wouldn't have lasted as long as we did had it not been for our awesome managers and coworkers.

Cons

I didn't even mind having to sell the Discount Card, I minded have to sell the Magazines. Felt like I was selling my soul.

Spend some time in the stores, realistic time on registers and helping customers, not walking the store pointing out flaws.

This isnt a bookstore.

I worked at Books-A-Million

Pros

The discounts, employees and regulars that come in on a daily basis usually made the place a decent environment to work in.

Cons

The words 'customer service' are taken for granted and misunderstood by upper managment. The sales goals are nearly unnattainable in a team effort and rarely seen among employees. Career advancement isn't very lucrative or worthwhile. Team morale is usually very low. There were no discipline or reward programs to speak of.

There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million