Books-A-Million
www.booksamillion.com Birmingham, AL 5000+ Employees

Buying time

Cafe Seller (Former Employee)

ProsCo workers made my day
My managers for the most part did their best and overall didn't bother me so much about pushing cards/magazines.

ConsMaking under $7.50 an hour for everything that is expected of you..is rude. Everyday there is a speech about selling club cards or magazines, meanwhile there is no one in the store to help customers and you are stretched pretty thin. Working a open to close (10-8) Sunday shift, because hours are cut and still only get a 30 min break.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your workers as if you have some decency. Understand you won't have people who want to work for you if they get paid nothing and then get in trouble for not making the numbers. Figure something else out, because you will lose workers who indeed love books and people and get stuck with ppl who barely work and make no real effort to make the experience worth it for the customers.

Frustrating

Kids Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Books-A-Million

Pros: Working around books, employee discount, book check-out option. Cons: Despite your efforts , if you didn't make your goal to sell cards, you're made to feel you failed. Also, as a "specialist", you are… Advice to Senior Management: The company has lost all focus on customer service, which should be the PRIMARY goal. Grocery stores and pharmacies give you their discount cards for… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Learned a lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Books-A-Million

Pros: The people working in my store were amazing. We had a very strong… Cons: Low pay, spiff bonuses were kind of a joke. Very… Advice to Senior Management: In order to attract the talent you need to keep this… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Books-A-Million.

Worked for Books-A-Million? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Books-A-Million reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Books-A-Million CEO Terry Finley . All reviews posted anonymously by Books-A-Million employees.