Books-A-Million

www.booksamillion.com
  www.booksamillion.com
There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million

In the year I have been with Books A Million it has had ups and downs but never boring.

Current Employee - Bookseller in Panama City, FL
Current Employee - Bookseller in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I get to work around books and people which I love. As an employee you get a 20% discount and on every payday it is 30% off.

Cons

The pay could be better. No raises. When I put in for the position I said I couldn't work Sundays unless absolutely no one was available. The asst. manager is good about giving me it off if she makes the schedule but the general manager will work me every time. We are supposed to wear business casual and no shorts,no bra straps showing but some people can get away with it.

Have a set of rules that applies to everyone and follow through with it. Pay attention to when employees are not available and schedule accordingly.

429 Other Employee Reviews for Books-A-Million (View Most Recent)

Lied to about everything, lost my home in the process.

Former Employee - General Manager in Sevierville, TN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Sevierville, TN

I worked at Books-A-Million full-time (less than an year)

Pros

What they promised during recruitment from another retail chain. Had those expectations been met, things would have not been so terribly bad. Not just pay, put level of control.

Cons

Lies. Pay was a lie, job description was a lie, training for a GM position was non-existant. Backdoor emails between the DM position and the AGM position for scheduling collusion to force people to quit/be fired. RVP and DM were both trained withn BAM, and believe that their methods are correct, but the rest of the retail management world would laugh at the antique, backwards and often deceptive practices that are viewed as "BAM Culture".

I was recruited away from a promotion that would have paid more than what I was actually paid at BAM. In retrospect, after leaving BAM, I lost my home and had to relocate my family. My pay was over $7k/yr less than I was offered. In a world where people actually understand numbers, and plan on them, BAM is not a credible or reliable source of income.

I feel most sad that after you push your in-store customers to Barnes and Nobles online bookstore through pushing the Nook, and your managers are forced into other retail careers that they simply will not be ready. You are setting up thousands in your dreamscape, but reality will destroy them... And you admittedly know it!

Worst job i have ever had...

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pennsdale, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pennsdale, PA

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time (more than an year)

Pros

20% discount and 30 % on payday.
    could borrow books.
    loved my coworkers.

Cons

The discount card. they want you to make the customer say no 4 TIMES before you give up on pressuring them to buy the card. if you don't make your 5% then the store management get screamed at, which in turn gets the employee in trouble. i come from a store where we have not made 5% since christmas, because we used to be a borders, and we very rarely have individual people make their 5%. the magazine for millionaires program is a scam. i hated telling people about it, because i knew they would forget to cancel. again we had to make our 5% on this or the store management would be screamed at, and we would again be in trouble and get written up.

stop worrying so much about the stupid discount card! there are some stores that really cannot make their percentages, and its ridiculous for you to keep getting on their case about it. get rid of the mfm completely, its a horrible scam and you should be so ashamed! be nicer to your management and sales floor associates.

There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million