Books-A-Million

www.booksamillion.com
There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million

In the year I have been with Books A Million it has had ups and downs but never boring.

Current Employee - Bookseller in Panama City, FL
Current Employee - Bookseller in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I get to work around books and people which I love. As an employee you get a 20% discount and on every payday it is 30% off.

Cons

The pay could be better. No raises. When I put in for the position I said I couldn't work Sundays unless absolutely no one was available. The asst. manager is good about giving me it off if she makes the schedule but the general manager will work me every time. We are supposed to wear business casual and no shorts,no bra straps showing but some people can get away with it.

Have a set of rules that applies to everyone and follow through with it. Pay attention to when employees are not available and schedule accordingly.

466 Other Employee Reviews for Books-A-Million (View Most Recent)

The worst, lowest paying job I have ever had.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Books-A-Million full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic co-workers. Indoor plumbing and AC.

Cons

The coffee is undrinkable swill. The pay is terrible with no chance of raises and the management is useless. The sole focus is the discount card and the magazine for millionaires programs. Both are a rip off and a hassle. The company actually charges for wi-fi! If the customer does not have a membership card, they must pay a $5.00 day rate to use the internet. Who still charges for wi-fi?

Employees are treated with disrespect at every turn and when the store does not make its numbers as a whole, there is a 6 AM meeting on Sundays. Do not work for this company.

Get over yourselves, you are corporate sheep working for a third rate junk store that happens to also sell some books.

I was paid to irritate the customers

Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Orlando, FL

I worked at Books-A-Million full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, discounts on merchandise, fun co-workers

Cons

I had a quota on selling membership cards and "free" magazine subscriptions; I was told to clean the entire store while I was the only cashier, so I could either help customers or make the store look nice- bad, bad scheduling

Magazines for Millionaire's drives customers away and makes the company look spammy

There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million