a big pile of mehh.

Former Employee - Bookseller  in  Beaumont, TX
Former Employee - Bookseller in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time for less than a year

Pros

20% off, and you can check books out, my co-workers were awesome, I loved cafe once I got the hang of it, customer service is rewarding,

Cons

There is a high focus on selling the discount card. If you love to sell the same thing over and over again...that's great, if you like to sell something that most people don't want....this is perfect. for the entire time I worked there, i felt like the company only cared about the money it made. Employee's there are very unhappy because there is so much stress to sell the discount card and magazines at the register. This store had a very high turn over, and was always under kept.

Don't stress your employee's out so much with the discount card. For a debt free company, and book store, the atmosphere is very high strung.

Other Reviews for Books-A-Million

Poor management.

Current Employee - Bookseller/Barista  in  Waldorf, MD
    Current Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Waldorf, MD

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount on cafe and most items in store, great starting pay. Will work with students on schedule.

Cons

Management picks favorites. The managers also refuse, and I mean unless it is an LP issue, they will refuse to fire anyone. Management will lie to employees. Our store reprimands and will actually yell at employees that don't meet their daily "goal." Management refuses to take responsibility for their own actions. Manager doesn't believe in time off for personal reasons. and if you have your tips stolen, even if it's on camera, don't expect to get them back.

Don't lie to employees. Also, don't blame other managers for a terrible job if you aren't doing the best either. Don't expect your employees to have your work style, some people may need time off when a family member dies even if you wouldn't. Stick up for your employees, and don't treat them like dirt.

Fun workplace, if you can sell cards. Great job for students.

Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista  in  Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts on everything including the cafe. Can check out books. If you're really good at selling cards you have potential for some great commission. Also, at least in my store, management was really understanding about my school schedule.

Cons

If you can't sell cards they will serious cut hours and reprimand you. You feel like your opinion doesn't matter at all (also feel like my managers opinion doesn't matter at all). The amount of time spent closing the store is ridiculous. Expect to stay there 2-3 hours after they close.

Understand that the type of customers that are coming in really determine how well we can sell. If we have nothing but regulars that day then they aren't going to buy something they already have.

There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million.

Worked for Books-A-Million? Contribute to the Community!