Books-A-Million

There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million

a big pile of mehh.

Former Employee - Bookseller in Beaumont, TX
Former Employee - Bookseller in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time (less than an year)

Pros

20% off, and you can check books out, my co-workers were awesome, I loved cafe once I got the hang of it, customer service is rewarding,

Cons

There is a high focus on selling the discount card. If you love to sell the same thing over and over again...that's great, if you like to sell something that most people don't want....this is perfect. for the entire time I worked there, i felt like the company only cared about the money it made. Employee's there are very unhappy because there is so much stress to sell the discount card and magazines at the register. This store had a very high turn over, and was always under kept.

Don't stress your employee's out so much with the discount card. For a debt free company, and book store, the atmosphere is very high strung.

432 Other Employee Reviews for Books-A-Million (View Most Recent)

Poor management.

Current Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Waldorf, MD
    Current Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Waldorf, MD

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount on cafe and most items in store, great starting pay. Will work with students on schedule.

Cons

Management picks favorites. The managers also refuse, and I mean unless it is an LP issue, they will refuse to fire anyone. Management will lie to employees. Our store reprimands and will actually yell at employees that don't meet their daily "goal." Management refuses to take responsibility for their own actions. Manager doesn't believe in time off for personal reasons. and if you have your tips stolen, even if it's on camera, don't expect to get them back.

Don't lie to employees. Also, don't blame other managers for a terrible job if you aren't doing the best either. Don't expect your employees to have your work style, some people may need time off when a family member dies even if you wouldn't. Stick up for your employees, and don't treat them like dirt.

Low pay, high stress, no regard for employee well-being

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Books-A-Million full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It does pay (minimum wage). Co-managers make about $10.00 an hour

Cons

constant stress put on employees for discount cards, as well we bogus 'programs'. The Coffee For the Troops is where BAM tricks customers into paying $10 for a bag of coffee to send to the troops - BAM does not donate any of the money gained from this program. Also, the only coffee that counted towards any of the 'contests' expired 11/20/12. So customers were buying expiring coffee to send to our troops overseas. Another one is Toys For Tots. BAM encourages customers to purchase a brand new toy to donate to the Toys for Tots program, but BAM itself doesn't donate a dime. It is just using the name of a charity to trick customers into buying more merchandise.

Managers do not get a paid break. They work either 8.5 or 9.5 hours without receiving a break. this is illegal. This is due to scheduling. One manager will be there from open until 5:30 and the closing manager will come in around 3 pm. However, in my experience, the salaried managers will leave much earlier.

The general manager is supposed to follow a manager rotation schedule where each manager (4 at my store) will receive one weekend off. I have worked for the same general manager for almost 2 years and he probably worked a total of 5 Sundays. The last weekend off I had was in June (it's not December). This goes against company policy.

There are no raises, haven't been for 5 years. BAM is open everyday of the year except Christmas and only Full Time employees receive special incentive for working those days. All non full time employees receive NOTHING extra for working on Easter or Thanksgiving or Chistmas Eve.

Last year they had a 'contest' to see which store could stay open the longest on Christmas Eve. The winning store got a $10 BAM giftcard to raffle off. That baffled me.

Have some compassion for your employees. You don't live paycheck to paycheck like they do and I think you have forgotten how that is. Close on Thanksgiving, Easter, and Christmas Eve, or ATLEAST pay every employee extra for having to spend their holiday selling items for your bogus charity donations.

There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million