Books-A-Million

There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million

It's a job.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New Bern, NC
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New Bern, NC

I worked at Books-A-Million full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lending Library, contact with customers and coworkers, learning to make coffee beverages, learning little bits of the publishing companies

Cons

selling membership cards, contact with customers, reorganizing the chaos of the shelves.

431 Other Employee Reviews for Books-A-Million (View Most Recent)

Some of the worst Bureaucratic, terrible management in the business.

Former Employee - Barista/Bookseller in Hoover, AL
    Former Employee - Barista/Bookseller in Hoover, AL

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a barista, I found BAM's coffee and equipment to be top-notch. That's about the start and end of good things about this company.

Cons

Terrible, high-pressure work environment.
    A doomed business model that will never change
    Emotional, irrational employees (at multiple locations)
    High prices and gimmicky product offerings
    Lack of transparency regarding pay, paltry rewards for succeeding at defined tasks

Stop selling cards. Start selling the bookstore experience. You're losing to B&N (not to mention amazon) for a reason. BAM's days are numbered, and it only takes working there a couple months to figure out why.

Great job for young college student or someone who has a second job.

Current Employee - Book Seller in McDonough, GA
    Current Employee - Book Seller in McDonough, GA

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about this company that I have seen so far is the employee discount, employee book check out, free cafe foods, small bonuses if sales are met & scheduling. When interviewing the manager put emphasis on being ok with me having a second job because I was only trying to work there part time. So she was eager to work with my odd schedule of hours.

Cons

The worst thing I have seen so far, is that this location only hires as part time. They promote that they have an awesome line up of benefits for full time employees but no one is hired as full time & only those who have been there for some time & exceed the percentage of expected sales consistently are offered to move up to fulltime or offered more hours. There have been shifts where they would take someone off the register because the amount of money they have brought in doesn't compute for their amount in membership card/magazine sales. Then that person is put on the floor to straigthen the books. Its a relief and curse because with each card/magazine you sale you have the potential to earn small bonuses, only after you have met percentage.
     Also the haggling of the Membership cards & magazines trials are awful! There is a running joke that if you don't hit your percentage for the day, you'll be fired....not too funny in my eyes. I was told by another associate that they watch the cameras to make sure that all associates are offering the magazines to the customers (apparently they can see as you hand the brochure to them & keep up with that..)

Some managers will stand over you at each transaction to ensure that you :
    1. greet the customer
    2. ask for their membership card
    3. if no card, discuss all the benefits of the card
    4. if customer says no, continue to convince them again why its a great buy
    5. if no again (sometimes manager steps in to convince again), check them out
    6. ask for donation (during holiday seasons)
    7. discuss the magazine trials
    8.if no, try again ( sometimes try again)
    9. finish transaction
    10. highlight customer survey on the receipt

All of this must be done all in a sufficient amount of time that you do not back up the line or let the phone ring more than 3 times & thats if the other associate is there to help (might be away from the front helping a customer look for a book). These steps must be followed with every customer, no matter how young or old. Luckily some offers aren't offered depending on type of payment, so its some what of a relief to see a cash paying customer. Those paying with cards beware to be annoyed with alot of gabber.

I truly believed I was hired based on my experience working as a insurance agent (hardcore sales position) & not for my enjoyment of books or great customer service skills. The manager asked alot of questions about the position....

To management, i understand the benefits of the membership card but esstentially its only promoted so you can make an extra dime from the customer at that time. I have seen only a handfull of great deals that come from the membership & thats only if you continue to purchase large amounts. You all need to be more lax on the associates about selling the memerbships because we are the ones who recieve the brunt of annoyance from the customers. We are teh ones who get snapped at, yelled at, books thrown at (i've seen it happen), etc.... When cards can be sold they are but sometimes we are forced to sell to people who could barely buy what they had then. No one should be fired over this program either considering the econmoy is not the best & people kind of like barnes & noble better (i hear more people ask if their B&N membership can work there too).

There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million