Books-A-Million
www.booksamillion.com Birmingham, AL 5000+ Employees

Would be an enjoyable job if it were more about selling books and less about selling rewards cards.

Bookseller (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

ProsGenerally stimulating atmosphere, being in a bookstore is always fun. Interesting things to look at, and often intelligent or interesting customers to talk to. Usually good coworkers, who also love books, or at least intelligent types.

ConsThe company will never give you a raise (fact) and they have pretty poor benefits. All the corporation cares about, and therefore all your managers are pressured to care about, is how many rewards cards and magazine subscriptions you get people to sign up for while working at the register. You have to be a salesman to keep this job, and the commissions for what you sell are pretty small.

Working at Books-A-Million was an awful experience.

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros: Bringing in tips was a nice perk Cons: From corporate all the way down to management, everyone seemed… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

A meatgrinder that takes everything and gives nothing back. Company dedicated to burnout.

MIT (Former Employee)
    Birmingham, AL

I worked at Books-A-Million full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: * I made some great lifelong friends here. Some of the employees are truly fantastic people. * 30% off Books… Cons: Company offers low wages/salaries, below industry averages. No bonuses except for management. Raises are miniscule and rare (1-2% raises possibly every other year if… Advice to Senior Management: Cut the fat and get rid of the excess managers. Hire some managers with actual project management experience. Hire technical people who can… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Books-A-Million.

Worked for Books-A-Million? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Books-A-Million reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Books-A-Million CEO Terry Finley . All reviews posted anonymously by Books-A-Million employees.