Books-A-Million

www.booksamillion.com

Professional but Laid Back and Low Paying

Bookseller (Former Employee) Deerfield Beach, FL

Pros- Store Managers tried to work with part-time hour restrictions for students

- For the most part, customers are polite and courteous

- No truly stressful or immediate assignments involved in working in a bookstore

Cons- The work isn't very demanding, but the pay is still minimum wage, which is far too low a wage to pay anyone in this day and age.

- Company has a policy forbidding booksellers (running the register) from reading at the register. Personally, I found this surprising. Obviously, you don't want the bookseller to continue reading when a customer approaches, but when I am in a bookstore as a customer, I see employees reading as a sign that they enjoy books and will be a reliable resource for recommendations.

- Company allows 10-15 minute breaks roughly ever 2 hours for smokers, but doesn't allow such breaks for non-smokers. This incentivizes smoking, which is problematic for obvious reasons. The company should simply allow both smokers and non-smokers to have 10-15 minute breaks ever 2 hours to get some fresh air and clear their head.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest favoring college students when hiring booksellers. They tend to have a better appreciation of the product being sold and have less of an attitude about being asked to work late hours. I would also suggest that any stores not open the same hours as Barnes & Noble begin operating during those same hours immediately; closing before B&N is just one of many ways to seal BAM's fate as being the next company to go bankrupt after Borders.

Lied to from the begginning

Bookseller (Current Employee) Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at Books-A-Million part-time for less than a year

Pros: 20% store items, loose dress code Cons: Haven't worked in weeks after being promised 30-40 hours. I still have not been trained on register even though I… Advice to Senior Management: Fix all of these cons! No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

The magazines made me leave

Bookseller (Former Employee)

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time for more than a year

Pros: Book borrowing program Occasional jeans weekend My coworkers were great people It's nice… Cons: Corporate berates managers to then berate they're booksellers to push promotions on an hourly basis. This oftentimes turns employees and managers against each other.… Advice to Senior Management: I really think the only problem that is a real deal breaker for most employees is constantly being pressuring them to sell cards and magazines… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Books-A-Million.

Worked for Books-A-Million? Contribute to the Community!