Books-A-Million

www.booksamillion.com
  www.booksamillion.com
There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million

Demanding work with a great atmosphere and low compensation.

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Books-A-Million full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great atmosphere, ability to grow within the company, meeting new people.

Cons

Low compensation, sales based, crumbling market.

432 Other Employee Reviews for Books-A-Million (View Most Recent)

R.I.P. Management

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

Great customers and a good store atmosphere. Have had a lot of good memories and good fellow employees (non-management).

Cons

Management does very little on a frequent basis. Sitting in the back talking literally full shifts worth of time. They'll sit on phones watching videos and the GM refuses to preform register help or customer hell and instead calls so they won't have to deal face to face. They bad mouth and treat the employees like trash and admit that customer service is not the focus. It's metrics. While I understand they are important this is very morally and managerial-wise WRONG. And after 4 years and no pay raise even being specialist with multiple duties. They refuse to give any sort of job growth whatsoever. Very poor management in this company.

Management? Act like you care about your employees and company. Being rude and stuck up does NOT improve employees moods and work ethic. And for the love of god do as much work as you're being paid to.

Everyday im gone I realise how much I hated working there!

Former Employee - Magazine Specialist
    Former Employee - Magazine Specialist

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Checkout books: fun coworkers, "discounts" for "stuff"

Cons

DISCOUNT CARD PROGRAM and MFM....See I capitulized to emphasize. Ya Oh wait Saturday meetings for not making Quotas. Oh and A 25 cent raise for a specialist position....Taking advantage of your workers, and your customers....Serious health code violations for cafe. Management meant well.... Oh and My store was a Top 10 store in the Company,and we where shut down over a "rent issue" and almost my entire crew were kicked out on the street. Even my manager was told he would have to transfer to anouther state......

Be realistic in your goals or change the name to "Cards a Million" You could get sued for false advertisement and thats bad. It also drives your money a.k.a your customer base away. Which does not help you make monies. Listen to your workers and lower management, thier jobs are to cover your bad corperate decision making in front of your monies.

There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million