Books-A-Million

Customer Satisfaction < Customer Loyalty

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

Working with books is a wonderful job, can be very fulfilling. The employee discount is nice, especially around the holidays, first of the month 30% off discounts, and book check out program is nice.

Cons

It's shocking to read some of these reviews and realize every single Books-A-Million is a carbon copy of the other. The GM at my store uses the same play on the fact that it's so hard to find work out there that I should be thankful for what they gives me. Home Office must have sent them all a check list of things to tell employees to keep them afraid to leave BAM.
Expect to be harassed at endlessly about discount card percentages and how many magazines are being signed up for. If the company just focused more on selling books instead of the card and magazine I think profits would increase. I've seen no less than ten people drop there purchases on the counter and storm out halfway through a sales pitch, then call back and yell at management about being harassed by the check out person.. As a sales associate you are then told to make percentage without harassing the customer.
The duties of a sales associate is to make discount card percentages, sell people on the magazine scam, ring up sales at a speedy rate (if you have more than three people in line you will be yelled at) make sure you greet every customer as they walk in the door, answer phones, find books for customers (making sure you put the book in the customers hands) straighten shelves, arrange displays, circle the customer service survey, and never for a second leave the register. The policy of put the book in the customers hands is a great one, but this is next to impossible to accomplish because more often than not associates are forced to stay at the register. We have resorted to pointing across the store. Home Office sent out some kind of memo regarding customer loyalty, and one line stood out.
"Customer satisfaction is worthless...Customer loyalty is everything."
Because of poor budget, the closing staff is never more than two people and one cafe person. Expect to be there passed 12:30.
There is little to no room for advancement, and raises do not happen for this company. Whenever a specialist possession becomes available, someone is hired from the outside to fill it, instead of it being given to employees who have been there for years.

I understand that the MFM's and MC's are how the company makes a good chunk of its money, but I honestly believe you would make more if you lowered the cost of the card to at least $15.00. You would be able to compete with other businesses and probably sell more cards in the long run. Take away the percentage requirement, instead up the compensation for selling a card. We as employees will happily sell them because we do want the extra money it gives us, we however do not want the headache and stress this minimum wage job gives us.
Treat your lower employees better, we are the ones making it possible for you to make a profit. We are the ones out there peddling the discount cards and making sure the customer is loyal.

422 Other Employee Reviews for Books-A-Million (View Most Recent)

Bait and Switch

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

Not forced to buy and wear a scratchy polyester uniform or oil resistant shoes. An employee always has the right to quit if they can afford to.

Cons

Being told to sell discount cards at $20.00 apiece or stand ready to lose your minimum wage job after being harassed by management because management is being harassed by upper management. Harassment is how this company operates. A health inspector needs to go to every Books-A-Million and check the coffee area for human waste because employees are not required to change out the mop and water from bathroom to cafe. Also the discount cards are a bait and switch. Customers should look and listen to the pitch. On the register screen the salesman will tell you that because you save 10% on the day you purchase the discount card that the discount card will only cost you x amount of dollars. When in fact the card is never less than $20.00. An employee sells enough of these tax free discount cards to cover their pay and additional other Books-A-Million employees in just anywhere from 1 day to one week after making their demanded 5%. Why should anyone have to make this business 5% in tax free sales on discount cards at $20.00 apiece when they are being paid minimum wage? Why are the managers supporting this? Why are patrons supporting this company?

I guess in a day and age when integrity and ethics are laughed upon there's not much point to offering any advice.

Good start in career

Current Employee - Books-A-Million Manager
    Current Employee - Books-A-Million Manager

I have been working at Books-A-Million

Pros

Good career advancement possibilities. Very good employee discounts. The coworkers are generally good to work with.

Cons

The company cuts hours of associates and some of them quit because of this. Moreover, the managers have to do all of the work.

Stop putting so much pressure on associates to sell discount cards. we are in an economic recession. many people dont have the 20 dollars to spend. Quit that Magazine-for-Millionaires program.

There are newer employer reviews for Books-A-Million