Booz Allen Hamilton

www.boozallen.com
  www.boozallen.com
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

A good resume builder, but not an enjoyable place to work

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There has always been plenty of diverse work opportunities, which has been a good resume builder. You can often work from home. A driven workforce with plenty of smart people. The matrixed structure, which has negatives, also has positives in that you can easily gain a network of people who can help you down the line.

Cons

Most people seem to wear a corporate mask. Every once in a while you meet someone who behaves like a normal human being, and it shocks you.

You are on your own to find work. If you don't have work for a while, you are gone.

Teams are all over the place geographically, which increases even more because of hoteling, making it incredibly hard to collaborate effectively with teammates, and the work quality suffers because of it.

These three things above make the overall work experience not enjoyable, and cause a detachment with other employees, even with teammates and bosses - and not the camaraderie you'd get at better companies.

Management is inconsistent. As a technical person, I would have thought that a company of this size and distinction would be more organized and use proven methods for managing technical projects. In my experience, most of the people managing us had no idea how to do it, and were just winging it. Very disappointing.

The company generally has an attitude that its employees are the best of the best, but it has shocked me how many people I have worked with who don't have much in terms of ability or passion. There are a fair amount of smart and driven people, yes, but they seem to be outnumbered by the ones who aren't. Reading other people's reviews, apparently this is a somewhat recent trend in the company [which started before I got there], and unfortunately may be growing.

The company is probably too big to do serious reflection at this point, but it needs to. There are a lot of things that it does differently from other companies. But just because something is the "Booz way" doesn't mean its a better way.

2241 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Good enough for government work

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible people; talent rich; in the center of the action; looks great on a resume; robust internal structure fosters training and development; good benefits

Cons

No longer a true "consulting" firm. Has shifted to contractor mode.
    Focus is on growing work instead of delivering the consulting expertise the client needs.
    Shrinking government budget means less work.

Focus on consulting and leave the contracting to other companies.

Lead Associate

Current Employee - Lead Associate
    Current Employee - Lead Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours
    Great colleagues, who are knowledgeable and smart

Cons

Lead Associates work like Senior Associates at a lower pay, no bonus and no offices the job is demanding and hard to manage ith long hours and little reward

Give Leads offices and include them in the bonus pool

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton