There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

N/A

Current Employee - Network Engineer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Network Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Good company reputation and knowledgable coworkers

Cons

Promotions are based on winning business

N/A

2185 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Focus on the Positive and Don't Drink the Kool-aid

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Development Opportunities -Booz Allen has a plethora of learning and development programs. They do go out of their way to see that you get on projects you are interested in and that have the type of development opportunities you need
    Name Recognition -Booz Allen of course has a storied past and is well known and respected in the professional community (whether that reputation is still deserved is debatable...I think it is slowly losing luster)
    Stability -Barring some scandal or major catastrophic event Booz Allen is a solid company that you don't need to worry about being impacted by the economic cycles

Cons

Stuffy Culture -The culture is very rigid and military-like. Rarely hear laughing or levity. Everyone should want to do good work, but also try and have some fun in the process. Your project team can make or break your experience.
    Below Average Compensation -Not horrible but from what I can tell consistently 10-15% less than other firms. I surmise because you are paying a "sticker price" for the name (even though I believe the value of that is steadily diminishing, especially after the commercial spinoff)
    Inconsistent Promotion Practices -Promotions are based on performance yes AND how well you have sucked up to the right people and done things "their way". I have seen the management communication about "promotion pipeline" and it includes more criteria than "performing at the next level" which is the only thing employees are told is required. The sacred "360" review is flawed when your manager has the power to determine who data is collected from and how it is interpreted (based on their own bias or limited view of things). You either conform to their implicit expectations by demonstrating your uber devotion to the firm or eventually leave because your future is now limited. I have seen this happen multiple times.

Just because you are a professional services firm doesn't mean you are immune from the classic struggles commonly found between labor and management.

I don' t know him

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

stable, can use to learn basic skills

Cons

no growth, ceiling for level 3s

nothing, keep it up.