Booz Allen Hamilton

www.boozallen.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Fantastisches Arbeitsumfeld Amazing working environment

Former Employee - Associate in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
Former Employee - Associate in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

(Translated from English)

Pros

Tolle Work-Life-Balance; professionelles und herausforderndes Umfeld; effiziente Organisation; der beste Ort, um beruflich weiterzukommen.

amazing work life balance; professional and challenging environment; efficient organization; best place to grow professionally

Cons

Nicht sicher, wie es sich verändert hat, nachdem Carlyle ausgestiegen ist.

Not sure how changed after Carlyle bailed it out.

Verlassen Sie sich nicht ausschließlich auf das Dienstalter um mitzubekommen, was man von den Leuten erwarten kann.

Don't rely only on the level of seniority to figure out what to expect from people

2335 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Preponderance of client work is nothing like the projects the leadership thinks the firm is doing.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Generally speaking, Booz is still the premier government contracting firm. The firm has a lot of highly talented and motivated people, and they do a wide variety of work for a wide variety of clients. Compensation is mostly competitive, and there is marginally more stability working for Booz than other firms.

Cons

Corporate culture has changed dramatically in the past five years, and by all indications the firm is repositioning itself to be a data sciences firm, NOT a consulting company. If you truly want to be a consultant, you should look somewhere else, because the firm is not focused on its traditional management consulting. Changes to corporate structure have all been targeted towards improving the bottom line, and employee development and the opportunities to do different types of work for different types of clients have decreased dramatically. Changes have also put significantly more burden on the employee to manage their own careers, with no clear advocates or mentors, and very little way to find or connect to opportunities.

Maybe becoming a data sciences and other high-end analytics firm is the way to compete in the market of the future, but most of the people who work for you know don't have the skills or the interest in doing that kind of work. The experiences and projects highlighted in firm marketing materials are so far removed from the experience of the average employee stuck on client site. Communications about the direction of the firm and the reasons behind strategic acquisitions are opaque and unhelpful. Employees feel like they have suddenly discovered they are in a totally foreign land, and have no idea how they got there, or where all the people they know have gone.

Once Great, Now Declining

Current Employee - Associate in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Work-life flexibility, talented colleagues, big and resilient, variance of work, secure employment. Booz Allen is a large and established consulting firm, where it's easy to work there for your whole career if you chose to. Environment is energetic and smart, and the company is big enough that it's easy to find new work and/or new clients while retaining your current position.

Cons

For the past 5 years, Booz Allen has been focused more on shareholders and bottom line than on employees and clients. Our emails from upper management tout increasing profits despite declining revenue - like it's a good thing. It is a good thing, for the shareholders, but the slashing that's taken place to make it possible have all directly affected the employees.

First came small and pretty inconsequential changes - no more biannual laptop upgrades, then our first big change: from everyone having their own office to "hoteling," where each employee reserves an office each day and checks into and out of it like a hotel room. This allowed Booz Allen (BAH) to eliminate empty offices (employees who were on client sites always or almost always) and consolidate employees. A reasonable change, and understandable.

Next came compensation changes we were told that our compensation actions (read: raises) were to no longer be tied solely to performance, but rather a host of new criteria, one of which was "bid-ability on contracts," meaning "will your salary make it easy or hard to bid you on contracts?" Of course, proposals compete largely on cost, so it's always easier to bid a cheaper employee on a proposal, so this gave leadership a way to freeze salaries or give paltry or in some cases insulting raises with a black and white justification, and the deniability of "it came from upstairs." Lots of talented employees jumped ship at this stage, because raises are the #1 tangible retention tool, and many took these paltry raises as writing on the wall that they were no longer appreciated at BAH.

More recently, BAH is selling real estate - closing offices. That's a magic trick that can prop up the bottom line, but you can only use that trick once.

The most recent change has been to our benefits - in short, more expensive healthcare with high deductibles. For example, my plan cost increases $150 a month, and my deductible went from $0 to $2600. Healthcare will cost me $4400 more this year than it did last year; or if I got a $4400 raise, that would put me at zero.

Booz Allen used to be a high line product at a high line price. We used to be able to command a high price - from clients who wanted more than simply getting the job done, they wanted it done well - and thoroughly, by the brightest and best. Clients would choose Booz Allen for the same reason someone might choose a Mercedes-Benz over a Toyota. In our recent years, this race to the bottom of how cheap we can possibly make operations, how little can we pay our staff, has caused a loss of top talent, and hiring just-good talent as opposed to the sharpest and most impressive applicants. I'm imagining management wanted to cut operating costs, but retain the Firm's reputation - that's just not possible. They got their wish - they made the Firm cheaper. We're just another contracting firm now - a glorified staffing agency.

I don't believe it's possible to reclaim our former reputation - not in 10 years, not in 20 - I believe it's gone. I suppose the only move now is to abandon the high-line-product, high-line-price model of yore and just get down with the rest of them and try to bid cheap.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton