There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Stable and respected, but a bit dull

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After having worked at Booz Allen for five years, I can say that there are a lot of awesome things about the firm. It's a good place to work, with pragmatic management that make generally intelligent business decisions. The ECAP contribution is outstanding, and I had consistently fantastic administrative management. Salaries are generally consistent with market competitors (e.g., Deloitte, PwC, CEB) but I've heard of the occasional massive bump, though its not typical.

Cons

With that said, its easy for an ambitious young person to "hit the deep end of the pool" in terms of what the firm can offer. The business model is designed for "command-and-control"-style business development and responses to client RFPs, which is stable (to the extent that the government pipeline is consistent) but doesn't engender a ton of entrepreneurial spirit. The firm isn't positioned to do work on small strategy teams, preferring to launch massive, expensive engagements (which is very pragmatic and stable, but boring). Finally, its becoming a bit hard to determine what the firm's strategy is in terms of the commercial / international market. Even though it claims to be interested in the space, I haven't seen much progress.

Advice to Management

The firm needs to figure out how to balance the need for work/life balance and the practical realities of project work. This is, after all, consulting. It is hard work.

The business model also needs to evolve past pure federal government consulting work. Sustainable growth of 10% a year won't be possible using this alone.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Booz Allen Hamilton is an excellent company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Booz Allen Hamilton has great career opportunities as well as great compensation and benefits

Cons

I do not have any cons for Booz Allen Hamilton

Great opportunities, not a career option

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BAH offers solid working experience, great benefits, and other perks that many companies can not match

Cons

The culture at BAH has changed over the past few years especially since they have gone public. There is a hugely increased focus on the bottom line and making sure things look good for shareholders. This comes at the expense of their dedicated employees.