There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Great opportunities, not a career option

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BAH offers solid working experience, great benefits, and other perks that many companies can not match

Cons

The culture at BAH has changed over the past few years especially since they have gone public. There is a hugely increased focus on the bottom line and making sure things look good for shareholders. This comes at the expense of their dedicated employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not a place to work since going public

Former Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some very good/decent/smart colleges here. A few very good managers/SR. Associates. Top leadership received the ax which helped the company's bottom line.

Cons

I started here before they went public. That was the best time to be a "boozer." You had a lot of client work, and the company was growing rapidly. Most employees were able to move up fairly quickly from level 1 to level 3 in about 4-5 years. Today now that its public, that has all changed. Good people are passed over for promotion because of the bottom line. Perks like lunch on BAH have been curtailed so much that it just doesn't happen (unless you are a partner). Christmas parties are lackluster and boring. A lot of chest pumping to the remaining folks who were not laid off. Before they were public the push was to grow, mold, and mentor people into great consultants. Today the push is to get someone into a seat so they can bill hours 5% over contract, uncompensated. That is the BAH dream now. There is a good saying that you can buy something and sell it at a higher price to the next sucker. If you end up not being able to sell that at a higher price, you are the sucker. This can be applied to people as well. If you still fill a seat, you are not learning anything and you just know that once that contract expires you will get your lack of work letter... and you are not actively looking for a new job, you are the sucker. Sadly, BAH has become just another body shop so the real value of the firm is down the tubes. Its a lousy performing stock, and the insiders dictate every action the company does. Before they went public, the partners and higher ups lamented, repeatedly that nothing will change, we will not mess wit the secret sauce. I heard this so many times. Now I look back at the company and I realize the lack of truth from senior people was just sad. They are all liars in the face of their employees, but the tough military like structure makes it impossible to actually call them out for being liars. Diminished benefits. Fantastic 401K is WILL go away because shareholders demand this. Now just another body shop. Successive layoffs mean employees work/live in fear.

Advice to Management

Be truthful with yourselves. Stop lying to employees. Admit that you all in one way or another took part in destroying the secret sauce that made BAH a great place. Ask yourself this, would you feel proud if your children told you they were contemplating an offer from BAH, or would you cringe and tell them to really think hard about it?

Immense potential for greatness, but no finger on the pulse of its deteriorating culture

Current Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- We have a huge pool of customers that expect quality consulting and exceptional technical skill. - There are many resources available to employees who want to learn and grow professionally. - Our reputation as consultants and experts is strong in the community. - We are well paid and benefits are generous.

Cons

- Strong focus on telling customers what they want to hear rather than what they need to hear. - There are no mechanisms for identifying superior performers and advancing them. Apathy reigns. - Some of the veterans hired can't transistion from their military culture which impacts morale. - I talk to my career manager once a year, and I am confident that he can't help me with my problems. - Superior performance, customer satifaction, and results are not at the center of what we do. - Zero energy put forth to measure employee/team function/disfunction. - Management is disconnected from it employees and culture.

Advice to Management

- Develop quality standards that measure team performance, team communication, team satisfaction with leadership, quality of life, customer relations, and overall customer satisfaction with the team. - Encourage superior performance and reward accordingly. Seniority cannot be the gold standard. - Decide what our culture should be best remembered for: quality consulting or filling a seat.