Booz Allen Hamilton

www.boozallen.com

2053 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Unchallenging, Stifling, and Bureaucratic

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsBooz Allen's reputation is still very good, its c-suite level management team has a clear vision of where the company's best business opportunities lie, and understands what it takes to keep the company on a profitable course. I also believe that management (both upper and middle) is sincere in wanting to build a company that supports its employees and their professional growth.

ConsCulture: BAH has a very conservative corporate culture, and this can mean that management and others are not straightforward - there is a lot of euphemism. When things go well, there is effusive praise and management engages in the best practice of calling it out. When things don't go well, no one will speak directly about it - and the words used are things like "opportunity" to make it sound positive.

Bureaucratic Organization: Since BAH sells into the federal government, they are organized to reflect federal government mindset on talent and personnel, which is preoccupied with over-specialization, and an emphasis on experience over talent or potential. This means that success is not really measured by results, but by what certifications one can say they have and what training courses you can put on your transcript. The focus on specialization further means that it is nearly impossible to move laterally - even as a low level employee. Entry level consultants are immediately branded and pigeon-holed with a particular specialty and market.

Bid Strategy: BAH has grown immensely fast over the last 20 years (until recently). To capture all this business, they have hired aggressively and moved into ever more areas of federal government business where at scale, they can generate profits. This means, though, that Booz is now engaged in mostly contracts that are long-range and don't involve very high-level, strategic, or challenging work. In this sense, they are putting butts in seats, rather than hiring the best and brightest and moving them around to challenging assignments.

Honestly, none of the people I knew at BAH who were impressive, smart, or effective stayed for much more than a year and a half. Its not a world class consulting company, its a well-reputed government contracting behemoth.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak apart barriers between teams and dis-incentivize the turf-based behavior of managers at the Senior Associate level. Create lateral opportunity for young employees and market these resources to the federal government with a more forward-looking mindset.

A good company for expanding your resume with diverse consulting assignments

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Although I worked primarily for a single government client, I was able to spend about 20% of my time on other assignments, some with private… Cons: It is a pyramid marketing organization - promotion primarily rewards selling addition services or adding new clients. Technical skills only go so… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Solid company with a proud heritage but slowly drifting to mediocrity

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good people, real assessment process. Reasonable advancement opportunity. Good ECAP - retirement bonus each year. Good… Cons: Too much overhead, strange short sighted decision-making from management team, need for billable work - if you lose this, you lose your job. Carlyle Group… Advice to Senior Management: Cut the fat, reduce the number of VPs and Officers drastically, get out of the staff augmentation business, and buy… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Booz Allen Hamilton.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!