There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

The grass may be greener on the other side, but atleast you know what you are mowing

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Investment in professional and educational development

Cons

Some managers that lack people skills

Properly screen individuals who are being considered for leadership positions. Not everyone can inspire and lead others. Unless they are leading them to leave the company because of poor management.

reviews filtered by

Slow Drift to Mediocre Government Contractor

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I joined Booz Allen 6+ years ago and left in 2012. At the outset, it was a great company to work for with a myriad of opportunity to learn and grow from smart and talented people and from a company with a 95+ year tradition in consulting. I worked primarily in the public sector and day-to-day the client-work coudl be so-so (it is government, so I wasn't always working with the most talented people operating in a high-performing environment), but I took pride in working for Booz and found it to live up to its ideals as a "great place to work" and learned a lot. UNTIL.....

Cons

Just about everything changed with the Carlyle private equity firm investment and subsequent public offering. Booz's reputation in the marketplace is pretty at odds with the internal reality. Booz Allen Hamilton is no longer a consulting company, but a large Federal contractor. In the past 2-3 years the company culture has slowly gone adrift as we focused on short-term financial results, cost-cutting, and rewarding senior management and Carlyle for their "performance" (e.g. see $1B "special" dividend paid for with junk debt and cash we should be conserving in this uncertain gov't market). At the same time, training, benefits, awards, salary increases, team all-hands, and holiday parties are all being cut or trimmed. But, don't worry, you'll be expected to be available for early AM, evening, and weekend work anyway.

By the end it was a very disillusioning environment with little upward mobility thanks to extreme politics and a misguided desire to hire "talent" externally, as is reflected in the 30-40% turnover in some teams (those are actual metrics, no exaggeration). The best and brightest who have other opportunities are sadly fleeing for the exits while a lot who are left describe their career as "at least it's a paycheck".

SO....if you're looking for a stable job as a Federal contractor, Booz isn't a bad place to land. If you're looking for what Booz is trying to sell a lot of people on...an opportunity for challenging and strategic consulting work where you'll be rewarded, I'd recommend Accenture, Deloitte, or a lot of other mid-size actual consulting firms.

-Reward great work and commitment with internal promotions
    -Start firing the senior leaders you brought in with core values issues
    -Cut out the non-value added overhead at the Senior Associate and above level who add little to no value to client work and still delegate much of the marketing/business development to Leads and Associates.

2. Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, pretty good pay, good employees to work with.

Cons

Hoteling takes away from the team atmosphere, gaps between lower level and senior level employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton