Booz Allen Hamilton
3.4 of 5 2,015 reviews
www.boozallen.com McLean, VA 5000+ Employees

2015 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Not What It Once Was...

Associate Developer (Current Employee)
McLean, VA

ProsBooz Allen Hamilton (BAH) is pretty stable if you work in the technology sector despite changing government sector. If you work in Cyber, Systems Development, or something related your job security is pretty stable. Even when contracts funding becomes problematic I have never found issues finding new projects.

One thing I love about BAH is that they seem to offer pretty flexible schedules which helps work-life balance. It all depends on the contract though. If your offsite at a government office things are pretty limited depending on the contract, but if your working onsite management wil let you work from home at times and with the new hoteling model you can eliminate long commutes altogether.

I think BAH offers plenty of opportunities to network with individuals even though hoteling model has taken away from this somewhat. There are plenty of forums, focus groups, and events to give you an opportunity to meet people across the company.

ConsBAH is extremely political. You may find yourself in hot water at times for saying the "wrong" thing. The "wrong" thing depends on the person and can range from just being honest and at times not responding at all to something. The culture at BAH can be troubling at times. From my experience individuals tend to go to someone's direct report about an issue rather than resolve the issue with the individual. Management from my experience has accountability issues when it comes to their own decisions when things go awry.

Moving up in BAH will require you have the right people in your corner. Again this is about politics more than anything else. Who your friends are and who is backing you is very important. Nevermind what your peers think it's more about WHO thinks WHAT that matters.

Recently, there has been an exodus of people leaving the firm. As others may have echoed in their reviews the firm was purchased by Carlye Group and Investment firm. Things began to rapidly change afterwards. What also hurt the company was the decision to go public. As a result of the new market and declining earnings, the ECAP (401k) program will be revamped giving employees less employer contribution. Many benefits have been reduced or eliminated. Employee rewards are less, networking events (that cost money) have been eliminated, and PTO accrual rates have been reduced.

BAH was a dream company to work for 5-6 years ago, but they are slowly becoming an average company that does not pay competitive wages according to the market. What attracted people to BAH was the culture and benefits. Both are a shell of their former selves.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhatever it takes go private and eliminate Carlye. Return the company back to its people first culture. Find ways to differentiate BAH from other consulting firms. As of now nothings distinguishes BAH from any other government contractor.

Invest in employees. To be competitive on the market and provide clients with the most up to date technological services, you have to be willing to assist staff. For example, BAH has wanted to do mobile technologies for some time but has not seriously invested much to it. Lotteries for mobile training isn't enough this needs to be company wide.

Restore the ECAP. Revamp has hurt employees morale and willingness to deal with much of the changes. Keep the company as midsized company. Stop the takeshare program that brings in questionable talent. Finally, retain quality staff. You get what you pay for.

Good company

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great benefits, good work/life balance Cons: Very matrixed (i.e., too many bosses), experience greatly depended on… Advice to Senior Management: Managers need to be more focused on their staff Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Associate at Booz Allen Hamilton

Associate (Former Employee)
    Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros: Depending on the contract assigned to, you will have an opportunity to work with very smart… Cons: Large company and very easy to get lost and feel like a… Advice to Senior Management: Reduce the amount of work needed in the performance review… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Booz Allen Hamilton.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!

Booz Allen Hamilton – Why Work for Us?

We're looking for people with brains and heart. We believe in vision and passion. Being part of something bigger than a company or job matters to our employees. When you join Booz Allen, you’ll help some of the most… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz Allen Hamilton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Ralph W. Shrader. All reviews posted anonymously by Booz Allen Hamilton employees.