Booz Allen Hamilton

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Overall Great Experience

Former Employee - Technology Consulting Consultant in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Technology Consulting Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Booz Allen had a great environment that is great for professional growth. The professionals are top notch and I enjoyed learning and working with them during my time with the firm. The salary was also very good. Overall it was a great experience.

Cons

The assessment process is terrible requiring someone who does not work with you assess your contribution to the firm. Proposal work requires long hours of possibly unpaid additional work.

2245 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Great business management in a difficult economic environment.

Current Employee - Associate in Aberdeen, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Aberdeen, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When your work hinges on the economic health of the US Government, one can't help but worry about job security. In this state of sequestration, I still have a job! Booz Allen is managing it well. They are doing what they can without cutting too many corners for their staff. We still have training, and a supportive management structure to help us build our careers.

Cons

Once you're on a contract, it's great! It means your billable and billable is good BUT if you want to do something different, moving around is near impossible.

Try to utilize inside talent more in open requisitions.

Not What It Once Was...

Current Employee - Associate Developer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Developer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Booz Allen Hamilton (BAH) is pretty stable if you work in the technology sector despite changing government sector. If you work in Cyber, Systems Development, or something related your job security is pretty stable. Even when contracts funding becomes problematic I have never found issues finding new projects.

One thing I love about BAH is that they seem to offer pretty flexible schedules which helps work-life balance. It all depends on the contract though. If your offsite at a government office things are pretty limited depending on the contract, but if your working onsite management wil let you work from home at times and with the new hoteling model you can eliminate long commutes altogether.

I think BAH offers plenty of opportunities to network with individuals even though hoteling model has taken away from this somewhat. There are plenty of forums, focus groups, and events to give you an opportunity to meet people across the company.

Cons

BAH is extremely political. You may find yourself in hot water at times for saying the "wrong" thing. The "wrong" thing depends on the person and can range from just being honest and at times not responding at all to something. The culture at BAH can be troubling at times. From my experience individuals tend to go to someone's direct report about an issue rather than resolve the issue with the individual. Management from my experience has accountability issues when it comes to their own decisions when things go awry.

Moving up in BAH will require you have the right people in your corner. Again this is about politics more than anything else. Who your friends are and who is backing you is very important. Nevermind what your peers think it's more about WHO thinks WHAT that matters.

Recently, there has been an exodus of people leaving the firm. As others may have echoed in their reviews the firm was purchased by Carlye Group and Investment firm. Things began to rapidly change afterwards. What also hurt the company was the decision to go public. As a result of the new market and declining earnings, the ECAP (401k) program will be revamped giving employees less employer contribution. Many benefits have been reduced or eliminated. Employee rewards are less, networking events (that cost money) have been eliminated, and PTO accrual rates have been reduced.

BAH was a dream company to work for 5-6 years ago, but they are slowly becoming an average company that does not pay competitive wages according to the market. What attracted people to BAH was the culture and benefits. Both are a shell of their former selves.

Whatever it takes go private and eliminate Carlye. Return the company back to its people first culture. Find ways to differentiate BAH from other consulting firms. As of now nothings distinguishes BAH from any other government contractor.

Invest in employees. To be competitive on the market and provide clients with the most up to date technological services, you have to be willing to assist staff. For example, BAH has wanted to do mobile technologies for some time but has not seriously invested much to it. Lotteries for mobile training isn't enough this needs to be company wide.

Restore the ECAP. Revamp has hurt employees morale and willingness to deal with much of the changes. Keep the company as midsized company. Stop the takeshare program that brings in questionable talent. Finally, retain quality staff. You get what you pay for.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton