There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Lead Associate

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Lead Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the experience. Personally got to move through the ranks quickly as my main client truly required my expertise. Felt like I got very lucky getting matched to the right project and got to hand pick my team. An all-star team was created that I feel broke boundaries within the organization

Cons

As my success continued to grow, local mgmt wanted to capitalize on it which is risky. If not careful could have devalued my contributions to the overall task. Being on a client site made it somewhat difficult to feel attached & recognized by the local office as well. Definitely had to care & feed the relationship with the actual corporate office.

When yr over yr when a person continues to bring in high dollar business and doubles the contract size, you need to ignore your compensation strategies and go above & beyond those that go above & beyond for you.

2185 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Should have been better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Booz Allen has a decent enough reputation in the federal consulting space and is thought of more for strategy consulting. The capability areas are delineated well meaning a person can work on projects that are aligned with their capability (strategy, technology, analytics).

You'll work with a very diverse group of people, some coming through the standard college route, some as former federal employees, and others coming after military service. Many of them will be great.

Cons

Unfortunately, Booz Allen Hamilton has determined that it would rather begin to operate as a federal job shop. That is, you're only valuable to the contract for which you can fulfill a specific role. This isn't consulting and unfortunately, Booz Allen is following Federal money like Accenture and Deloitte Consulting in their Washington DC/Arlington, VA offices (the majority of their Federal consulting employees do not perform the type of work common to consulting staff in the rest of the firm) and performing staff augmentation work (not why most prospective consultants come to the industry). Additionally, the well delineated areas also means employees can be prevented from getting on new projects when there is less work within one capability vs. others even when previous work experience makes an employee the ideal candidate.

The diversity of the workforce comes with a caveat. You'll meet many people because so many leave regularly or are given "Lack of Work" letters. Several people in my own reporting chain left within my first month at the firm. As with those after me, the firm had been on a hiring tear bringing in more personnel than it could do anything with. As a result, your first project with the firm could very well be your last. Unfortunately, the firm lost several of its largest contracts late in 2012 leaving much of its staff to scramble for work as the majority of the firm's work requires high level Federal security clearances (perfect for people with previous federal work experience or military service) or high travel (if you aren't paid exceedingly well and have responsibilities, perhaps a family, you'll have a difficult time traveling).

Another problem with the firm lies in the importance of the personal network that is needed in the firm to find projects. The only formal process for getting new projects is reliant on the efforts of Senior Associates who are ultimately dictated to by Principles. As a result, new employees will have little influence in the process and can find themselves on the way out very soon.

Pay is not great. Unfortunately, this is the result of two things. First, the firm's hiring pool is inflated by two groups who are not typical of consulting (I listed three above) - simple understanding of economics there. Second, staff augmentation work in the current Federal environment now almost always requires a "low bid" to win. As a result, the firm low-balls offers with a take it or leave it approach until they find someone dumb or desperate enough to take them with the anticipation that the cost of each person put on a contract will satisfy the profitability margins required by the board and partners. As a result, many people hope to leave for greener pastures making many people indifferent about the firm.

Decide if Booz Allen Hamilton is a Federal staffing firm or a true consulting firm. Many educated people will continue to rank the firm well below the other heavyweights in the industry leaving Booz Allen to work with whomever is left. That's not a proactive competitive position.