Booz Allen Hamilton
3.4 of 5 1,905 reviews
www.boozallen.com McLean, VA 5000+ Employees

1905 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Overall my experience at Booz Allen has been good.

Associate III (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOverall my experience at Booz Allen has been good. I work on a distributed Team and therefore I don't have to deal with the office politics and office work environment that others may have. Your work experience at Booz Allen depends on who you work for and your specific client assignment. Mine have been mostly good; so I have been generally happy with my work experience at Booz Allen and have learned from it.

ConsMy pay has been good, but as Federal contract work has become difficult to win, there has been a tightening up of salary increases, benefits (401k program being reduced) and other nickel and dime issues such as getting office supplies approved or travel reimbursements have more nit-picky questions from audit. Part of this may also be from the firm going public in 2010 and ongoing pressures on management for profitability. Probably 80% of Booz Allen's work is Federal contracts. So a reduction in this market area going forward will be issue for the firm for the foreseeable future until it can transition to other growing markets in the private sector or internationally.

Federal clients can at times be great to work with, and at other times, not so much. There is a lot of uncertainty within the Federal government now, which makes getting direction from Federal clients difficult, especially for long-term planning or commitments.

Several reviewers have described Booz Allen as having essentially moved to a staff augmentation firm or "butts-in-seat" vendor, rather than a true consulting firm. I would agree that a large bulk of the work that BAH now does is that type of work, but they also still do some high quality consulting work. A portion of my work could be described as staff augmentation and that has been ok for this period in my life as I have found it a little less stressful and easier work at times than full-time consulting work. It's just important for potential applicants to understand the type of assignment they would be working and give some thought whether you want to do that work and would grow from it career wise before jumping in.

Great company, but poor outlook given government funding

Associate (Former Employee)
McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros: Prestigious company within the federal government sphere; always receive an… Cons: Lack of connectedness; spend all the time with the client, you almost feel more like the client's employee; projects are harder… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Lead Associate

Lead Associate (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Loved the experience. Personally got to move through the ranks quickly as my main client truly required my expertise. Felt like I got… Cons: As my success continued to grow, local mgmt wanted to capitalize on it which is risky. If not careful could have devalued my contributions… Advice to Senior Management: When yr over yr when a person continues to bring in high dollar business and doubles the contract size,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Booz Allen Hamilton.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz Allen Hamilton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Ralph W. Shrader. All reviews posted anonymously by Booz Allen Hamilton employees.