Booz Allen Hamilton

www.boozallen.com
  www.boozallen.com
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Overall my experience at Booz Allen has been good.

Current Employee - Associate III in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Associate III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall my experience at Booz Allen has been good. I work on a distributed Team and therefore I don't have to deal with the office politics and office work environment that others may have. Your work experience at Booz Allen depends on who you work for and your specific client assignment. Mine have been mostly good; so I have been generally happy with my work experience at Booz Allen and have learned from it.

Cons

My pay has been good, but as Federal contract work has become difficult to win, there has been a tightening up of salary increases, benefits (401k program being reduced) and other nickel and dime issues such as getting office supplies approved or travel reimbursements have more nit-picky questions from audit. Part of this may also be from the firm going public in 2010 and ongoing pressures on management for profitability. Probably 80% of Booz Allen's work is Federal contracts. So a reduction in this market area going forward will be issue for the firm for the foreseeable future until it can transition to other growing markets in the private sector or internationally.

Federal clients can at times be great to work with, and at other times, not so much. There is a lot of uncertainty within the Federal government now, which makes getting direction from Federal clients difficult, especially for long-term planning or commitments.

Several reviewers have described Booz Allen as having essentially moved to a staff augmentation firm or "butts-in-seat" vendor, rather than a true consulting firm. I would agree that a large bulk of the work that BAH now does is that type of work, but they also still do some high quality consulting work. A portion of my work could be described as staff augmentation and that has been ok for this period in my life as I have found it a little less stressful and easier work at times than full-time consulting work. It's just important for potential applicants to understand the type of assignment they would be working and give some thought whether you want to do that work and would grow from it career wise before jumping in.

2245 Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton (View Most Recent)

Great place to build or continue a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people do challenging work for great clients with some flexibility in work/life balance depending on the project

Cons

Large company can be bureaucratic in nature and messaging from top-down isn't always consistent

Keep employees engaged by promoting positive team dynamics

I have been working there for approximately 8 months as a consultant

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've found the atmosphere to be very positive and motivating. I have been given a large degree of autonomy regarding my job responsibilities. My colleagues are educated, enjoyable to converse with, and are a good source of information on both technical knowledge and company policies.

Cons

Most of my negative impressions do not come from Booz Allen itself. They largely stem from the government client for which I work at the moment. There's quite a bit of miscommunication which I found to be troublesome.

As of right now, I have no further advice I can really give. Being a relatively new employee, however, I can say that my impressions so far are very favorable.

There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton