Challenging

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There individuals there with no degrees who make you feel less of a person if you have a graduate degree. I had one man say to me "I didn't go to some fancy school and get a degree and get handed a job." I have a high school diploma and thats all I need.

Cons

The individuals with no degree

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great benefits and flexible work hours/locations, but tends to alienate junior staff.

Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great, the pay is good for the area, and they are very good at avoiding layoffs during hard times. The ability to change which contract you're working on is nice. If you like to work from home this company is great.

Cons

There are no local teams anymore (unless you work client-site), so expect to never meet any of the people you're working with. The Hoteling system is awful unless you already know a bunch of people who work in the same building. Everyone who actually goes to the office only communicates with the few people they already know there, and since you'll be with a different person every day (sometimes multiple per day) you'll never get the chance to get to know anyone outside your team - who you'll never meet face-to-face anyway because they'll be spread all over the East coast. For junior staff who don't know anyone this creates an extremely difficult environment where you are left with two options: go to the office and be alone in a crowd, or just work from home all the time. The latter sounds great (and certainly has its perks) but after a couple years of being locked in your apartment with limited social interaction, it starts to get old real quick (not to mention the massive loss of productivity when working from home).

Advice to Management

I understand the reasoning behind the Hoteling system, but combining that with greatly distributed teams becomes a very poor working environment. A system should be put in place where people are strongly encouraged to work in local teams so that the potential for developing a working relationship exists at all, rather than it being completely impossible as it is in the current system.

Great place to start career. Company has totally changed since Carlyle Group bought into company.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn about government consulting and hone skills at the beginning of career.

Cons

Most junior staff are not competitively paid compared to other firms. Lots of ex-military staff are brought in at high levels and salaries and don't produce. Lack of work life balance does not exist.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the annual useless assessment process and put monetary incentives into career development actions