2003-2006 Fantastic 2007-2013 slow death rattle

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a fantastic company that beleived in staff, understood that working hard and playing hard were necessary to have a successful company. Understood that sick time was not vacation time and so you had unlimited sick time. Then Ralph sold the companies soul after professing that "we went public once and would never do it again." BS

Cons

Ralph drove the company into the dirt. Every piece of the former company is gone as Ralph drove the ship into "industry standard" which used to be anathema to Booz Allen. Training is all but gone (online after hours..some perk!@!@!) The Firms contribution to your 401K was the last unique benefit left, and that sacred cow has now been sacrificed at the alter of Ralph to the Carlyle Gods. Get ready kiddies because with the new reorg...nasty changes are on the horizon...anybody for a spinoff?

Advice to Management

Get rid of Ralph, let him manage the private jet company he owns and get him out of Booz, he has slowly destroyed the company. Return Booz to the company it was, lower your multiple by cutting profit not screwing your staff. Or keep doing what you are doing and you can become SAIC (who now has better benefits than Booz)

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to build or continue a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people do challenging work for great clients with some flexibility in work/life balance depending on the project

Cons

Large company can be bureaucratic in nature and messaging from top-down isn't always consistent

Advice to Management

Keep employees engaged by promoting positive team dynamics

Overall my experience at Booz Allen has been good.

Current Employee - Associate III in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Associate III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall my experience at Booz Allen has been good. I work on a distributed Team and therefore I don't have to deal with the office politics and office work environment that others may have. Your work experience at Booz Allen depends on who you work for and your specific client assignment. Mine have been mostly good; so I have been generally happy with my work experience at Booz Allen and have learned from it.

Cons

My pay has been good, but as Federal contract work has become difficult to win, there has been a tightening up of salary increases, benefits (401k program being reduced) and other nickel and dime issues such as getting office supplies approved or travel reimbursements have more nit-picky questions from audit. Part of this may also be from the firm going public in 2010 and ongoing pressures on management for profitability. Probably 80% of Booz Allen's work is Federal contracts. So a reduction in this market area going forward will be issue for the firm for the foreseeable future until it can transition to other growing markets in the private sector or internationally.

Federal clients can at times be great to work with, and at other times, not so much. There is a lot of uncertainty within the Federal government now, which makes getting direction from Federal clients difficult, especially for long-term planning or commitments.

Several reviewers have described Booz Allen as having essentially moved to a staff augmentation firm or "butts-in-seat" vendor, rather than a true consulting firm. I would agree that a large bulk of the work that BAH now does is that type of work, but they also still do some high quality consulting work. A portion of my work could be described as staff augmentation and that has been ok for this period in my life as I have found it a little less stressful and easier work at times than full-time consulting work. It's just important for potential applicants to understand the type of assignment they would be working and give some thought whether you want to do that work and would grow from it career wise before jumping in.