There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

Crash course in how to do things right

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training in how to write proposals, run a project, give presentations, and collaborate. Top-notch peers and exposure to major clients.

Cons

Long hours, stress, lots of paperwork, very stressed out bosses.

Advice to Management

My understanding is that after going public, BAH began cutting back on perqs and increasing pressure on employees to prove their worth. This is so obviously and ridiculously suicidal it's a wonder the board is allowing it. Employees accept lower than industry wages because of the benefits and the exposure to big clients. They have all the stress they can handle. Reducing one and cranking up the other will not allow BAH to retain or attract the sorts of employees that made it an excellent company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Never again

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people that work hard

Cons

Awful management decisions on over hiring, over spending on lavish foods at company events, too many corporate emails, too many login interfaces to do anything, terrible corporate communication amongst the leadership, disrespectful "lack of work" policies, even for long term employees that gave many years to the company...as soon as you don't have a "B" number to charge to the customer, you are out of there!

Advice to Management

Instead of spending a ton of money on food and new hire training that no one cares about or remembers once they start working on their client site, work to land contracts and retain the talent you hire instead of dropping them once they can no longer charge to a "B" number. You are more cut throat than some major engineering firms but the choices you make will guarantee you will not last as long as these engineering firms you wish to compete against. Also, don't force your employees to work for free an additional 40 hours so they can do training. Training makes your employees better for them and better for you! I should have known to be worried when the line of new hires wrapped around the building on my first day. Even though I won awards for a job well done, in the end you dumped me because you had no where to put me (because you haven't won any contracts) and you didn't even provide a severance package to lessen the blow. Don't pretend you are something you are not- you definitely impressed me my first day with the nice coffee machines around One Dulles that were free to employees but as I got to know your culture forcing people to use their own computers, work from home, spending money in wasteful places, I realized I was in a terrible place. My only redeeming grace was the client I worked for. What a shame you have ruined the reputation of BAH with such poor decisions in the recent years. Every person I have worked with since I started has been let go- including my managers. Kind of pathetic.

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Associate III in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate III in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Despite the government slow down the company is doing well.

Cons

There is uncertainty and you have to deal with that.